Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
tx
City
Houston
I went for my yearly neuro. exam today and my doctor recommended Botox injections in my legs to treat spasticity. There are no side effects and the results last up to 4 months. I am currently on 80 mgs. of Baclofen a day and can terminate that once i'm on the injections. The treatment protocol would be 1 set of injections 3 times a year.

Has anyone tried this treatment and what were the results? Supposedly, if I'm a candidate for the injections, the results should be much better than taking Baclofen with the added bonus of not having to pop pills everyday.

I am starting to max out on the effectiveness of Baclofen, so I will be watching this thread with interest.

My doctors appointment is on Jan. 31, 2012 so it's going to be a little while before I can report anything. Apparently, this doctor is booked up 2 months in advance.

I have a young friend who had a stroke 5 years ago. He goes twice a year for Botox injections for spasticity in his legs. He and his physio both notice major improvement after the injections. He takes Zanaflex as well and continues to need that, but at a lower dose than pre Botox.
Laurel

Laurel - Keep us posted regarding botox injections. I have read somewhere that botox injections in the throat relieve spaciticity and enable those of us with bulbar problems to speak better. Have not discussed this with my neurologist, as I understand it is very expensive.

I just had my first treatment Dec 28 in Vancouver BC Canada. Within an hour I could my arm muscles loosening up. My neuro says give it a week for full effect. Next treatment he will do wrist and fingers. 3 months apart. At this point I take 3-4 baclofen daily. Thank God BC medical covers it if by special request from a neurologist because it is expensive.

That's great news Brenda. I hope to have similar results.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Im done with my first week after botox treatment and am looking forward to next treatment for him to do the upper arm, shoulder and fingers of left side. The part injected with botox has no pain. Those little vials of botox only go so far per treatment. Hopefully your treatment is successful and you can cut back on the baclofen. Keep us posted. Good luck

I want to try this for my legs I will call today I have been in misery.

Do you folks experiece pain as PLS symptoms?

I have not except as arthritis or pain from falls.

- Jerry

I experience alot of pain in my legs. Now whether it's from PLS, I'm not really sure because I also have a herniated disc in my lower back. Personally, I think PLS intensifies the pain because I know other people with lower back problems and they don't have the same amount of pain that I do.

Since my first botox Dec 28,2011 I have had no pain in the area he injected. He did the wrist, upper part of finger that were curling tight with spasms, the lower arm and just above the elbow. I have pain still in the upper arm and shoulder and the OT gave me exercises to do until my 2nd botox appt come this March. From what the neuro said it should work on legs and back pain.

As the botox is not for cosmetic use and I am on limited income, my medical covers it. Thank God as it's like gold.

Find out if it would work for you. I can finally sleep for 4 consecutive hrs.

Went to my appointment and all went well. The doctor said I would be a good candidate for the injections in my legs. There will be approximately 6 injections mostly in my hamstrings where I feel the most tightness. She is also going to inject my left ankle to help it from turning inward when I walk. The doctor video taped me walking so we could see the before and after. She did a complete exam and found clonus in both legs. She said I had remarkable leg strength. I was able to squat down at 90 degrees with both feet flat on the ground and hold it for several minutes. I told her I was a weightlifter and excercised my legs regularly. She was amazed and said to keep it up because it was making a remarkable difference in my muscle tone, strength and overall ability to walk.

The only bad thing is I have to wait until May 08 to get the injections because it takes a while to get approved through my insurance and then they have to order the medication through a special pharmacy which, takes about 30 days to get.

Once, I start the injections she will take me off the Baclofen. I will then start receiving regular injections every three months. She will alternate muscle groups from time to time as needed to help me walk better. I asked her about the effectiveness of the injections over a long period of time (for example 10 years). I have been on Baclofen for about 6 years and am taking the max dose which, no longer seems to work. It appears my body has developed a tolerance for the medication and is no longer as effective.
She said this is completely opposite with the injections. The effects of the injections will be the same now as in like 20 years from now. She has had patients for 20 years that have been taking injections and still getting the same benefits as when they started. As for the dosage, she said it will be a "respectable" amount and would adjust it from there. She said something about "600" but I didn't understand if that was cc's.

It was a very thorough and informative appointment. We also talked about the Baclofen pump but I told her that was completely out of the question.

Thanks for this update. I look forward to hearing how effective the treatment is.

It's about time for you to get "good news". Good luck with the botox, TxRR. It would would be great that all ALS people were covered to relieve their pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back