Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
Hi Everyone,

I'm very concerned with some the symptoms I've been experiencing over the last few months. I've been tested for HIV, been to ENT, had blood done for CBC and thyroid, and so far everything has come back normal, except the ENT said I have inflammation in my throat.

About 3 months ago I started having weird throat pains that I have now progressed into throat inflammation and pain while swallowing. I'm also having brain fog, weird vision out of my left eye, nausea, muscle spasms and weakness in my arms, legs, left hand as well as heart pounding and chest pain. I am scheduled to see a Neuro on Monday. I'm a 32 year old male who has always been in very good shape, up until the last month i would exercise 5-6 days a week.

Do you my sypmtoms sound like I have PLS? I know you can't diagnose with testing, but I'm wondering your thoughts. Thanks to everyone for the service you provide.

No, you don't have PLS either, stop fishing for a devastating illness and start listening to the doctors. Come back here when you have clinical spasticity, clinical weakness, clinical hyper reflexia, have spent 2 years being prodded poked, muscle biopsies, EMGs MRI x 100 etc etc, oh and then you have to wait 4 years with the diagnosis before you get cleared of having UMN onset ALS. Now that's a looooong wait.
Sorry to be blunt, but if we all had a sore throat, weird vision, brain fog( all of which is not necessarily related) and not PLS we would be having a party right now.wait and see what the neurologist has to say. Remember don't leave the office without getting all your questions addressed.

If you are going to waste your time going on the fibromyalgia, MMN threads, it won't work there either.
Get a grip on the anxiety and listen to your doctor. Try a sore throat website.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for the anxiety, but I'm really worried. My throat is not like a typical sore throat, i don't know how to explain it...it's very uncomfortable and swallowing seems to be heavy. I just feel like I'm falling apart, I'm only 32 and my wife and I would like to start trying for a baby next year. Again, I Apologize for the anxiety or if I'm wasting your time. I'm just hoping to rule out anything serious.

I'm only 32 and my wife and I would like to start trying for a baby next year.

From the looks of things, your wife already has a baby, just in an adult-sized package.

If there were anything seriously wrong with you, the doctors you've already seen would have told you about it and would be treating you more vigorously.

You are way too young to be this anxious about rare diseases.

You're right, thank you all for your replies, and yes I'm definitely a baby when there's something wrong with my health especially with unexplained symptoms.

They don't sound like any PLS starting symptoms to me...The best thing I did was not start entering my symptoms into the computer and had it "spit-out" a list of things that it could be. Doctors will be tight lipped at first to put an offical label on it to start, but you can pick-up on the direction they are going by their reactions and tests being ordered.

The process for me was, I went to my Primary Family Doctor for walking and tripping problems, he went through his exam (seemed concerned). He then wrote a referral to see a neuro, on it he had "elimated ALS" (I had no idea what that was and didn't research anything about it or MND). My wife did know what it was about and I noticed her concern when she was talking with her mom & others (but I never expected anything long term). I would have bet it was circulation due to years of high cholesterol. Anyway went to the first neuro, he showed concerns during the first visit (brought other interns or doctors in to re-exam me and show them the basic tests and signs). Then he ordered everything, MRI's or CAT Scans (not sure the difference), spinal tap (lumbar puncture), a lot of blood work, EMG.....you name it. After months of all that he handed me off to a neuro that specializes in ALS, and now I work with her and the MDA at the clinic.....again this PLS is like being in "limbo" not knowing what will happen next, just keep testing.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply. My first neuro appointment is today so I will keep you posted. Whatever this is I hope they can diagnose quickly, but that doesn't sound likely....

hello beautiful people can some one tell me how to start a new thread, as iam new here & have some symptoms id like to share & see if i have any cause for worry..... thankyou

Shimmer open the pls forum page and on the top left hand side it will say New Thread somewhere. Just push that.

Well, all the not pls is put of the way....

Vision issues should always be investigated immediately. See an eye doctor as soon as you can. PLS wouldn't affect your vision, but lots of other things can such as MS, Sjogrens and a whole host of others.

Sorry guys...but I can't do the traditional blow off with folks having symptoms that could be something serious...even if it's something not in the realm of our forum here.

Also anyone with chest pains should always go to an ER.

The nickname may say it all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back