08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Why?

I drove an eight hour roundtrip to see a rheumatologist that after having looked over me and the latest results from 14 tubes of tested blood asked, "Why were you referred to me?" I told her that the neurologist had discovered identical oligoclonal bands in my csf and serum and that I had also been told I had a case of inverse psoriasis, commonly found in cases of psoriatic arthritis.

The doc saw my small rash of inverted psoriasis clearly but was not successful in seeing anything arthritic but said it could be lurking, festering, waiting and that it is sometimes very difficult to diagnose in the early stages.

I actually had 2 rheumatologists look me over today and to make my trip a little more worthwhile, xrays were ordered of my feet and hips to see if there may be some slight trace of arthritis in those areas. It was somewhat mentioned that my case seemed more fit for a neurologist after checking my reflexes and seeing my toe go up on the right side.
(Babinski reappeared).

My right leg reacted odd when the doc tested for strength. She put downward pressure on my leg on my thigh just behind my kneecap and told me to raise my leg. It did this yo-yo thing it had never done before. I found this entertaining.

So, I'm done with chasing rabbit trails and have just decided to live with the stiffness, spasticity, cramps and whatnot with no further search for answers unless things get worse. The weakness discovered in the right leg is minor, very minor and not an impediment at this time.

At the end of the day, I was told to call them if I have a flare-up in my joints. They may be able to get a clearer picture if they can catch things as they occur. Very nice doctors and they were both very pretty, too!

PS
My blood received raving revues!

Last edited:
Sounds like a doctor circus! Maybe you should extract your blood and start working on a new formula!

Sorry you are still in limbo!

Kim have they definitely ruled out MS and residuals from Guillain Barre?
Laurel

Who's on first?
I hope all will be ironed out. It must be frustrating to go through the wringer.

Laurel,

I don't know if GB was every considered but the identical oligoclonal bands could point that way. As far as MS, I suppose the csf bands were not the kind associated with MS.

Good morning Kim,

I am sorry that you didn't get an answer and instead are running around in circles were you living in limbo -- not too sure which is worse. I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter what it's called if they could find a way to make you comfortable. is the big thing.

Are you still planning a trip to South Dakota later this month? I hope we can connect. I'd love to meet you and your wife and your daughter and grandchildren.

My grandchildren are seven years old and 11 years. The younger one is a boy and the older a girl. Tonight Tim is taking me into Rapid City and we are going to see both kids perform in a community theater play. It's called "The Candy Corn Caper", and my grandson plays the villan. :) Tonight is the opening performance with two performances tomorrow and one on Sunday. If your daughter has a chance she might want to take your grandchildren to see it. The floor in front of the stage is where all the little guys sit, and the plays are always less than 45 minutes since they are directed to keep the children's attention.

If you are here on the 29th there are are lots of things happening in Custer for kids. They dress up and go from store to store trick-or-treating and then to the elementary school where the lower level is decorated for young children and the second floor is a haunted house for the older kids. There is a pumpkin carving competition and pumpkins displayed in the Courthouse Museum. All good clean family fun!

Of course, you must remember we are getting snowflakes today . By Halloween we can always expect cold weather so no skimpy costumes for kids!

Diane,

Yes, the trip is still on and it looks like we'll be leaving Thursday evening next week and rolling into Rapid City at my daughter's place Friday noon. Not sure what time the birthday party is but I've already alerted Mrs. Z that we will be taking a trip into Custer to visit with you and your husband and old saloon piano. It will be a short trip to SD as we'll be heading back on Sunday. I think we've got to get back for something going on for one of us on Monday.

The play featuring your grandson as the villain sounds grand! Too bad we're a week late for it!

Well, sheesh, with the positive babinski and what it sounds like you're describing as clonus--doesn't that have to mean something UMN in nature?

But--all in all, I'm with you. I'm treating symptoms and pretty much don't worry anymore about what is wrong--I just treat what happens and make do with whatever I need to be comfortable and functioning.

You sound like me, Kim. Some people are just hard to figure out. I'm thinking they might have taken away the PLS too soon unfortunately.

I think even doctors sometimes try to link everything to one condition and forget that more than one thing can be going on at the same time, too.

Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back