Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
Alaska
City
Wasilla
Anyone have problems with their kidneys? Like cortical thinning of the kidneys? From what I have gathered thus far, it is a vascular problem with not enough blood getting to the kidneys causing the kidney to die off. But I could be wrong as I have only just started to look it up and read about it on ggle.

I had an ulta sound yesterday because I have been bothered by pain in my right upper abdomin under the rib cage, that goes to the back everyso often. I had urinalises that came out ok. Problem is that its been bothering me now for over a month and the doc agreed with me that we should at least do an ultra sound to make sure its not something that would be horrible if I had to seek medical attention for when I am on my cruise.

Well the nurse calls me this evening to tell me about something unrelated and I ask her if the results came back. Sure enough they were there in the fax box and she started reading them to me. I knew about the fatty liver and the accessive amount of scar tissue and the missing gall bladder. But then she said that there was cortical thinning of the kidneys and she would have to let the doc talk to me about that because she didn't know what that was.

Well of coarse I would go and look it up! And it doesn't sound too promising of being an easy fix. Matter of fact if it holds to what I have read, I am going to need some new kidneys. So now I sit and wait for the phone to ring. Got a call from a campaine for Pat Johnson...but no doc. I was very precise with the nurse to make sure that he calls me tonight. Its 7:49pm on a Friday...don't think it will happen.

So on with life! Let me know if any PLSer's or even PALs have problems related to disease process interfering with renal failure. Thanks.

oh joyce,i am so sorry these things keep happening to you.
i am not aware of any connection but will do some digging about and see what i come up with.
as you know my son has kidney disease(the filtering units)he gets alot of inflamation and there impaired.
he just had his function test which was ok ,this does not mean he has not lost function as the test only comes back positive when you loose 70%.
so he is waiting for an appointment for urology and a mri scan on his kidneys.

sending you lots of love joyce,i am always here if you want to talk.

hi joyce.
what you describe is called renal atrophy and can result in renal failure.
i could not find anything that ties in mnd or anything neurological.........specifically.
what i did find was that renal failiure linked to high ck levels,maybe you should get your ck levels checked.

Thanks Caroline. I also could not find a link between pls and kidney failure. It is mentioned in ALS but I think its late stage of the disease. However, I went through my lab reports that Mayo did back in Janurary and most of it was fine with the exceptions of low iron and high copper. This in itself could explain coritcal thinning I think. But not sure as there is so many directions to go with this and I have yet to hear from the doc. I was also thinking that maybe the scar tissue that has run amuk in my gut, could be choking off the vascular blood flow to the kidneys. But I don't know if both are have a problem or just the right side, which is where I have been feeling the pain. My ck levels were fine in Janurary.

Anyway I am praying that its nothing too serious and I can go on our trip. Otherwise I am thinking there is a strong possibility we will not go. :(

Joyce, My MIL had a vascular kidney problem, the blood flow was impaired due to scarring and they stinted the arteries successfully.

hi joyce,can you get in to see your doctor next week to discuss this?
hoping its not as bad as it seems on paper.
off to bed,been to family bbq,had 2 glasses of red wine and i'm now feeling like johnny.
godbless my dear friend,love caz.

sorry ollie..but with the best will in the world , you cant have me...............my missus dont let me out of her sight......she thinks am lovely see.......loves johnnycasanova.....oh.. after the booze, yer mean...ah, well.....

as she walked in to te house,,she looked gorgeous.....hair done, painted hands and toe nails...shortish skirt and her fake tan....the anti depressants and god knows what else tablets had piled on the weight...but she grafted hard and lost loads ,,still the extra suited her...the boys in the pub commented on her....my little girl is 43 years old and plagued by the voices....life had become too difficult for her...a loves her loads.............

hi joyce.
do you have an appointment this week to discuss your kidney tests?
have you had any symptoms?
high blood pressure,going to the toilet more than usuall or a lot less,blood in urine though i think this is more for inflamation of kidneys.
at his worst shaun went 32hrs with not going to toilet was admitted as emergency and given intevenous fluids all night and after 40+hrs finally went.........they were ready to call me during the night to say his kidneys had failed.
that was 5yrs ago and his kidneys are still going thankfully.
thinking of you lots.

johnny........what was your second post about?lol

Any answers yet? I vote for going on your trip if there is any way you can!

the doc was not concerned about the kidneys. I still haven't talked with him directly, but his nurse had called me and said that the doc said, "cortical thinning does not cause pain". So he ordered an upper GI with a small bowl follow through. That was done yesterday and most likely came out fine as I am not seeing the pain involved with my digestion track.

I am thinking I will most likely go on the cruise and this will be another pain I ignor. Seems like we are chasing rabbits here. Life is too short to put so much time and money into something and not find what it is. I think since now the major stuff has been ruled out, it will be safe to go.

Glad to hear that it's nothing serious, mind that doesn't help the pain.
When was it you were leaving on the cruise?
What port does it leave from?
I am excited for you :)

joyce,i am so happy its not too serious,i was so worried about you.
please get in touch before you go,hope you have a wonderful time as you deserve it so much.
lots of love,caroline.

Thanks Aly and Carolyn, I leave the house late on the 21rst and will fly to Athens Greece. We will be there on the morning of the 23rd. We leave on the ship on the 25th. We figured it would be nice to see a little of Greece and to be able to acclimate to the 12 hour time difference before getting on the ship.
I have a blog set up that I will post updates on. Type in Cruisin' Lady's Adventures into g00g l e and you should be able to pull it up through there. Note that they usually pull up archive stuff but you can find the latetest by clicking on the title at the top of the page on the blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back