12/2010
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
SW
Hi to all,

I'm very curious: Aside from Babinski, hyperreflexivity of the knees, etc., etc., one of the very first tests my first neuro gave me was the "toe tapping test"...

This is done with your heel firmly planted on the floor, and then you move your toes up and down as rapidly as you can...when I do so, my foot "stalls" - i.e., it stops and I cannot move it....appears somewhat like clonus (maybe it is a form of clonus). I can't do it with either foot.

Has anyone else had a neurologist perform such a test - and is it deemed to be sensitive and/or specific for UMN?

I have found a link on this:

AboutBFS.com • View topic - Foot tests - Toe tapping and ankle clonus

But curious as to what those here think!

THANKS!

Mike

My neuro did this with me but I have no idea what he was looking for. He never explains anything to me!
I couldn't do it quickly, my foot also seemed to stall and behave like it wasn't attached to my leg!

Never had it done, and never heard of it. Got me tapping tho!

Toe tapping is used to test for upper motor neuron dysfunction. I've been told it is more definitive than finger tapping.

never had that done kim but just tried it myself.
i can do it a few times but then the toes get slower till i can not lift them at all..........strange.

Hi to all,

Thanks for your responses! Yep, looks like we all may have similar circumstance with toe-tapping (or foot tapping)...it is weird when your foot stalls....Becky, my neuro never explained it to me either...but it does seem to be a test for further validation when UMN is suspected (thanks Zaphoon!).

Mike

Not sure if Mine is the same thing, My right leg is sooo Hyperreflexic, the my foot uncrontollably taps when sitting to a standing position. I do know that I have sustained Ankle Clonus in my right Leg (but not the left)

My neuro didn't do anything like this. Any of you ever sit with your toes on the floor and ankles lifted and have your legs start jumping? I sit with my ankle lifted to keep my heel off the floor (I has an unhealed ulcer) and the jumping finally got so bad, i have to instead sit with the leg elevated on something because the jumping leg turns to massive spasms or cramps rather quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back