Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
on saturday afternoon i got stung on my arm,i am highly allergic and it results in the area swelling up 3x its normal size.
my arm was in agoney,tried antisceptic cream and various other things.
i knew you could get an over the counter med that helps with all allergys including stings,had it before but can not remember the name.........................
...............so,later that evening i took one of my sons hayfever tablets as its an antihistamine same as allergy tablets.
within an hour the pain and swelling had gone down..........great!

oh boy,the next morning i was all over the place and looked as drunk as a scunk lol.
my balance was caput!
had a lay down in the afternoon and by tea time my walking and balance was better.

i suppose it was a small price to pay otherwise my arm would still be swollen and in pain.

y'all take good care:)

Oh, the many hidden landmines of PLS....

I'm glad you're okay Sweets!

antihystamines have a way of causing dizziness. Especially if you took a perscription strength. Makes an already unsteady gait into what you have discribed! Glad your ok from the bee sting though. My hubby is allergic to bee stings and will go into shock supposidly. I have never seen him stung by a bee. Greatfully!

I don't think the problem is the PLS but rather the medication that someone with PLS is already taking. Antihistamines increase the effects of other meds.

In the 1960's when psychiatric meds were in their infancy, children with grave psych problems like schizophrenia or other forms of psychosis were routinely given antihistamines ( benadryl ) along with child size doses of antipsychotics in order to achieve the desired effect of sedating or calming them down. I assume that pharmacology has refined the treatment for these very troubled kids today but in those days that was what we had to work with.

Olly, I trust you have an epi pen should you need it? Allergic reactions tend to get progressively worse.

Glad you're better! Benedryl is pretty sedating if not used to it. Years ago, it was used for a sleeping pill in the hospitals. It's no wonder it made you loopy :)

i think your right,i was not used to the med and it had a unwanted effect on my person lol.

was stung on my right hand about 7yrs ago and i had to go to er,picture a rubber glove blown up..........yep,that was my hand.
if i was stung on the neck or in my mouth then it would be lifethreatening.

arms hunky dory now..........so's the body,well not really but you know what i mean.

thanks everyone.

Get that epi pen, Olly!

My daughter got stung the first time and just swelled up. The second time, a little worse. The third time she nearly died. She got stung in the face. I don't go ANYWHERE without an EPI Pen for both of us.

Our apt has 3 wasp nests right outside the door they won't remove--and my poor daughter is terrified every time she opens the door. She's massively terrified of anything that buzzes now.

I asked my allergist about this and she said both antihistamines and anti-depressants affect nerve function.

This sounds more serious than my suggestion would cover but for those not needing an epi pen. I have a home remedy that you all will think is crazy but I swear it works. I am to allergic swelling, low grade fever miserable acheyness. My wife put this like Shea butter lavender cream on my last and the pain was gone in seconds, no swelling, no sickness at all. This was from a wasp a he had gotten me several times before I smashed him. My niece 2 yrs old got stung while visiting screaming in pain same thing put it on her she had forgotten about it in a minute.

Very glad you're doing better, Caroline!

I'll trade loopy for being swollen anytime!

Just as another consideration....

I take Allegra 180 daily (sometimes 2x) along with flounase. I have no adverse reactions.
At night I take Vallium and during the day Baclofen (20-60 mlg).

- Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back