Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
Alaska
City
Wasilla
Ok, was down with pnuemonia all last week! Still very weak and fatigued but I think I have this thing kicked with all the antibiotics they have me on. Feeling much better today, but still exhaust easily.

Does it take longer to get this stuff cleared out when you cannot cough hard? I have had a few coughing spasms where I cannot breath in much or cough out but my whole body goes into a spasm and the cough is continual. I have had two fits like this, and I can only imaging that the pls is aggrevated to cause them to be worse than if I hadn't had pls. The first one was 3 nights ago and during it a sharp pain started in my lower right abdomin. Once the spasming stopped, the pain stopped. But everytime I coughed, the sharp pain would be there in the same place. I thought maybe I pulled an adhesion since its been said by the last surgeon that cut into my abdomin, that my whole insides are adhered to the wall lining of my abdomin from scar tissue (adhesions).

Then the second cough spasms happened 2 nights ago. That very sharp pain was present but with each cough it started to spread! It was like paper tearing....it crept upward and toward my right side until finally the whole side would have the sharp pain deep inside. It really doesn't feel like the muscle because if I had injured the muscle, it would have hurt to move or push on the muscle. Its deeper than that! No swelling or anything. I am wondering if I should go to the doc...but then I think why waste his time and mine because I really do not think anything can be done. If it was going to be something that would kill me, like an apendix pulled apart or intenstine break, I would have had more problems by now and had gone to the ER.

I hate having to figure things out for myself. That is always been the case for me hasn't it? Ok enough complaining. I guess this pls makes everything more complicated. So am back to start reading things again and posting when I can. Hope you all are doing fine.:)

Happy to see you on the mend!

Glad you're back Sweets! I think you should go to the doctor just in case you tore something. I think that the fact that you can't have a good cough makes a difference unfortunately.
Love to you!

Hi!
I was
worried when you didn't post on come for tea. Stay well,rest and let everyone else wait on you.
Susan

akmo...there u was gone...and now use gone back...and use here....goodbye hallo....pooler....

dear AkMO
Happy you are back.I have been off or a month after a wk stay in he hospital. I feel I regressed in mobiity,am bed bound.
You need a cough insufflator alnd bypap. The cough alone is exhausting.can u get some home health rsp care at home.
You are certainly worthy of seeing your MD and getting some relief.
Accept help, I am praying for you.
blessings Pat

thank you all for your welcome backs! Today was a busy day for me. I had to do the bed linen laundry because it was in dire need. Then had to cook two times today (usually I only have to cook once). Totally wiped me out!

Unfortunately I do not have the support I need when it comes to me being sick. Although during the roughest time when my fever was 102.2f and I needed to go to the doc, my hubby did drive me and then he made sure that lil one got something to eat that day. But really he is not one to dote on me at all. Although I will give him credit for making coffee on the next morning after I saw the doc and for buying me chicken soup in a can like I asked him. Then there was the one time he brought the cough syrup to me, but thats about it. I had to do our laundry on Saturday so I had some clean pajamas and had to cook everyday starting day 3 of this pnuemonia. He never has been a nurturing sort and after all these years I do not see that changing anytime soon.

But don't think of him as not caring, he has done all he can to keep me in a nice house in an expensive place to live (its not cheap in Alaska!) and he takes me on cruises! So he is my sugar daddy for sure! Gotta love the man for his sticking with me through thick and thin and putting up with my moody swings and loving me regardless of them!

Ok don't know why I went there but there it is! I didn't call the doc today and figured I will wait till the antibiotics are done. Hardly coughed at all today so the pain didn't bug me much. Still having some horseness with my voice but my nose has all cleared up. So I think things are going pretty good and even though I am still weak, nuaseous with a headache, I think that I will be recovered rather quickly of this. Thank you so much all for your prayers!

Joyce, have you ever had your pulmonary functions tested? Just wondering because pneumonia is not that commom in someone so young. I had baseline tests done when I was diagnosed. I was having no problems, but they insisted. Might be worth checking

OUCH! Praying for you! And so happy to see your posts again. Take very good care of yourself, ok sweetie?

Joyce, glad you're back here posting, that means you're feeling better! Did you ever get the pneumonia shot? That was one of the first things that my ALS clinic folks asked me, and so I dutifully got the shot. I never had lung issues before either, but I figured they knew more than I about this stuff.

I think you should call the doc about your pain, as you shouldn't be in such pain with a cough. It IS possible to break your ribs in coughing, so at least that should be looked at, even if they can't do much to help to help.

I know what you mean about your hubby not being the demonstrative sort, but there's more to a relationship than holding hands. He sticks by you, but also needs to feed you once in a while girl! Cruises are nice, but maybe starting the coffee every morning would be a bit more thoughtful. Just saying, don't sell yourself short – you know you're awesome, who cares if you can't walk right?

In answer to the question :Does it take longer to get this stuff out when you can't cough: the answer is a resounding YES. But--they can prescribe expectorants that might help--and suppressants to use at night so you sleep peacefully.

I've had pneumonia too many times to count--and it sucks. It can cause abdominal pain from frequent coughing--but it is also possible you have torn an adhesion--only a doctor can really answer that.

Was the pneumonia viral or bacterial? Walking pneumonia can occur in anyone--but bacterial is more worrisome, as it can be caused by aspiration.

It might help if you hold a pillow on your abdomen when you cough, though. Are you PFTs within normal limits?

Hope you feel better soon!

Doing better today although still not coughing much. Try to breath in deep and always come out coughing. So taking a deep breath just isn't happening as much. I am wondering if I have a headache for the past month, if it could be caused by low O2? But yet when the checked me at the docs office with one of those finger thingies, it was a 96, so that is not too bad. I don't feel or hear any rattling in my chest, just the occasional catch where I have to cough and barely anything comes up. Good news is that its turning a light green/yellow vs the dark green/brown it was a week ago. So I would say there is an improvement.

notme, I do not know a PFT is. I have had a pnuemonia shot long time ago along with a flu shot (several years its been) and promptly got the flu then pnuemonia after the shot. That was the second time I had gotten the pnuemonia and the first time I got the flu. I swore then to never get those shots again and I have never gotten the flu or pnuemonia again. The first time I got pnuemonia was back when I was single and was about 21 years old. Then they told me it was walking pneumonia. They said the same about the second time I got it, even though I thought the shot gave it to me. This time he was thinking it was bacterial because of the high fever (the other two I did not have a high fever). I usually get over colds and such rather fast and they do not bother me. So who knows why it turned ugly this time? I am just glad I seem to be getting better quicker than expected!

Thanks all for your replies and comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back