Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I have been doing yoga with weights for several months now and it has really helped me. Those remaining muscles have been strengthened and I get a lift from doing it.

What I hadn't been doing was simple repetative things like swimming or stationary bicycle. I had recently hit a wall and had started talking myself into the beginning of my decline.

I got on the stationary bike yesterday, however, and realized that this is what my body really needs.....simple fluid repetative motion.

I am going to try to work up to doing this each day. We will see, but I think that I am on to something.

Keep us posted Toots!

Funny how we can definitely talk ourselves into being in a decline, then find, sometimes it's mind over matter. I find swimming great, and feel better when I keep it up. It stops me sitting around thinking too much. I am going to try and start gentle cycling soon. Can't wait.
Best wishes to you

give me a break!..........working out,i'm lucky to get basic things done.
if i just move too "fast "or turn round too "quick"my body goes into meltdown.
but if you can still do it good for you.

LOL Olly! I'm with you. Cheers to you BB! ;)

I think that Alyoop captured my thinking.

I don't want to be overly otimistic, but I also don't want to prematurely give up or give in.

On another note; I posted in the PLS section of the forum thinking that for many with this diagnosis, things progress more slowly. I certainly meant no offense to those a bit further along in their progression....I am coming your way too my friends.

- Jerry

hey badbalance its good to keep the muscles going just dont over do it.
in the early years i pushed myself too much and believe me you end up doing more harm than good.
i am in my 13th year now so i am further down the road,even though i do have my mobility scooter now i do walk down to the shop or down the road to my sisters,maybe a potter to a few shops in town once a week...........thats all i can manage now.

believe it or not but before pls struck i was super fit,i have always done running and competed in cross country runnings competitions.
i went to gym 2-3 times a week and the other days did an hour at home every night,was an avid weight trainer.
was told by a fellow weight lifter i was good enough to go amateur an compete,i did all the viamins an whey/protien powders ect.
had buns of steel and a stomach you could bounce tennis balls off as well as impressive biceps..................on top of all this i brought my son up on my own and worked fulltime.
strange how it seems to be the case that hard working fit people develop neurological/muscular deseases.
if i had not been so fit in the first place i think i would have been alot worse off years ago.

Sorry olly;

Yeah, I have to watch my overachiever tendencies. Recover now takes so long sometimes that I have to rest a lot. I have also noticed that the amount of sleep that I get and my food intake also make a big difference.

I read that ALS'ers that stay in the "overweight" BMI do best, so although I recently lost 20 pounds, this is where I try to stay. I am afraid I took the Doc's advice to eat what I wanted too literally.

I too was super fit and trained and taught martial arts for many years....this disease is a drag, no?

Last edited:
nothing to be sorry for bad balance.
i used to do tai chi as my cousin is a martial art instructer,he has been to the philipines and other places to see the grandmasters.
i stopped when i got ill then a few years after i joined a starter class thinking it would be easy enough for me to do,it was full of old people lol.
to my dismay and horror i was unable to do some of the moves the oldies were doing.........i left crippled ,horrified and totally deflated.

Olly you and I are alot alike when it came to the fitness stuff. I not only coached soccer for 16years but I played soccer for about 5 of those years before I could no longer kick a ball or run. I also was an advid outdoors person and would hike and bike and swim and weighed only 120lb at the time. That plus the kids and all their stuff I did with them.

Your right that when fighting this disease we have to balance everything out. I started getting injury after injury by over doing and for the most part when I injured a muscle it would never be the same afterward. It would take longer and longer to heal each time I did it. At that time the docs said they could find nothing wrong with me. Then they said I had fibromyalgia about 10 years into the process. Then they changed it again and said it was rhuemitiod because of contratures but they had no blood work proof, that is when I started gaining weight because I was so sick on the meds they gave me that I should have never taken. I layed around too much but didn't change my diet. I had gained 100 pounds in 2 years and was bed ridden.

Finally I said enough is enough and got off all the meds. It was when I decided docs really do not know as much as they put on to know. I dieted and pt on myself while in bed. I built myself back to a level I could walk short distances. As the weight dropped I was able to move more. Had I not gotten to the point of anger I do not think I would be alive today. I never recovered a full strenght. My legs were worse, but I continued to have an active life doing things I could do. Like teach art classes at a small christain school and I coached their soccer team for 6 years, although I could no longer play with the kids or walk back and forth on the sidelines (I fell so many times doing that). I got out of my self pity act and went straight into learning to dance in the rain! I had lost 65lbs in 4 months but then I ripped up a leg tendon in my knee. That layed me up and I lost momentum and gained 20. So now I have been stuck about the same weight for a few years but its now going down about 1/2 pound a month. Not sure if its fat I am loosing or muscle.

To this day I wish I could exercise. This is one thing my hubby had a hard time accepting. He bought a treadmill for me and ask me to use it daily, because he still believed I could build the muscle. I did it only for a few days, 2 miles an hour for 10 minutes. Couldn't walk the rest of the day. He finally conceded and realizes that its just not going to work. But he got a treadmill out of it as he likes to run! He does a lot of soccer refereeing.

So the fact that about 20 years of this disease and I am only getting a power chair now might have been because I didn't have a diagnosis till now? Who knows! I pushed myself and injured myself and lived with the pain for so long....no one can say I gave into this beast!

Now I use my fingers while I still can to hopefully encourage others who are sick or have debilitating disease to be all that they can be even with a broken body. Make it a challenging adventure, rather than crawling under a rock and licking your wounds. I believe that these bodies we are in are only temparary in the timeline of eternity.

Ok...done rambling! ;)

i really really wish i could do something proactive to better my health but the fact is its out of my hands.
tried gentle exercise and swimming and can not physically do it.
my wieght has dropped very low despite being less active,i am weaker and general health deteriorating.......just so tired all the time.
was supposed to be going out this weekend to an event,getting all dressed up but.....................i dont want to go,i look too ill and thin and hate the way i look..........feel like crying now.

(((Hugs))) Caroline, wish I could give you some energy if I had the power to do so. Have you talked to your doc about this? Hang in there and I hope you do not let how your body looks dictate how much fun you can have in life. This disease is not fun...but finding fun is a challenge and can come at surprizing times. Keep on building memories dear one. I hope you enjoy your evening out!

Good job BadBalance!

This is what I have always said and everyone always disagrees with me. Some of us are worse than others but those that are able should maintain a regular work out schedule. I'm on my 13th year with PLS and I hit the weights 3 days a week. Yes, I could probably side with caution and lay on the sofa all day but that would just be me feeling sorry for myself. I'm probably going to end up in a wheel chair anyway so who cares. Meanwhile, I'm going to give this disease hell and push it to the limit's.

Keep up the good work.

joyce,its a day event...........wedding blessing and reception.
was going with my mum and dad but i really dont feel up to it,i can not cope with large gatherings.
i know one thing that may help..........ammitripilyne (sp),this does put me weight on but i had to stop it several years back because it caused severe problems with my hypotension,was having too many blackouts of which one was in the bath.
thankyou for your kind words i do really appreciate it,i know you understand (((hugs)))back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back