Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM #1 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Orlando
State: Fl
Diagnosed: 08/2011
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
notme is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
Default electric wheelchair question

HI Ladies and Gents

I have another question I thought you lovely people on this side of the board could help answer.

Do any of you know of a portable electric wheelchair that doesn't cost two arms and three legs to buy? Something like the Pride Go-Chair that comes apart?

I can't use my scooter inside. I'm having a more difficult time with my walker--especially now, that I have the new oxygen tank to lug around.

My daughter is afraid to leave me home alone because I fall so much--and to be honest, I'm not too keen on the idea of falling either.

Is there any lightweight wheelchair that is easy to take apart and transport? My scooter is just too big for my tiny apartment.

Part of me thinks I need to keep walking as much as I can--but it's getting harder and harder to walk.

Medicare will only pay for ONE chair--so I want to save that for later in case I need a fancy bells and whistles one down the road.

So--do any of you know of any power chairs that either come apart easily, or will fit on a car?

My arms don't have the strength to use a manual wheelchair--I've tried.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Richmond
State: VA
Diagnosed: 07/2009
Tokahfang has disabled reputation
Forum Moderator

City: Richmond
State: VA
Diagnosed: 07/2009
Tokahfang has disabled reputation
Default Re: electric wheelchair question

The short answer, after years of reasearch is this:

There ARE power wheelchairs that break apart into transportable pieces, with the biggest piece weighing in at 30-50 lbs. But they all, universally, suck. Having to be unwired and rewired, having pieces that aren't permanently attached, these things make them of a poor quality by their very nature. No company has managed to make it over that hurdle yet, so unless you can buy a new one every 6 months, it's no deal.

In you situation, I'd suggest some options:

A PWC carrying hitch for your car. You've probably seen them - they are small platforms that attach to or tow to the back of a car with a fold down ramp. You fold the ramp down, get out of the chair, have you or friend drive it onto platform, ramp folds back up. My neighbor has one and it was my backup medical transportation for a while.

If you happen to have a pickup truck (or access to one), they sell REALLY cool lifts that turn a arm out of the back, you attach your chair to the hook, the arm picks the chair up, swivels it into the back of the pickup, and sets it down.

Get a chair for in house, leave scooter in car for trips.

Use a manual wheelchair with a mechanical advantage gadget like What is the Wijit?

Sorry, I wish I had better news. :/ I used the bus until I got my big old wheelchair van.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM #3 (permalink)

City: country
State: Darkside of Moon
Diagnosed: 11/2010
notgivnup is on a distinguished road
City: country
State: Darkside of Moon
Diagnosed: 11/2010
notgivnup is on a distinguished road

Notme,
I found this light weight, take apart one. It's called At'm take along power chair. Check it out and see if it is what your looking for.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Raleigh
State: NC
Diagnosed: 07/2007
trfogey is on a very distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Raleigh
State: NC
Diagnosed: 07/2007
trfogey is on a very distinguished road

Patty, Didn't the oxygen company deliver a concentrator as well. They should have delivered a cannula with a long (30-40ft) line attached to it so you can use the concentrator for most of your at home stuff and save the tanks for mobile use.

The oxygen line snaking around on the floor might require some furniture rearrangement to help out but it's doable if you set the concentrator in the right place.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:42 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
olly is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
olly is on a distinguished road

i have seen holders that attach to wheelchairs to put oxygen tanks in, also get them for walkers.
was looking at mobility aids on e**y and saw some there.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

yes, got a concentrator. But I was thinking of when I wasn't home--not a huge deal.

NGU--that one would be PERFECT! I'm a great searcher--but I couldn't find anything. I saw Joyce's post after I posted this--hers would work, too.

I'm going to see if I can get medicare to pay for one--I'd imagine it would work for quite a while--since I guess they only will pay for one in a lifetime or something like that!

You all really the best people in the world. I honestly wouldn't have kept calling companies if not for your folk's support. I was in mega-give-up mode.

We had to teach a class today--the lady had paid for it months ago--and I had a really bad time trying to walk from the car to the office--my daughter ended up having to teach most of the class--I gotta take one of the tanks there.

They will only pay for, I think, 6 portable tanks per month--and they only last about 4 hours--so I can't go out too much--but it'll be great just going out once in a while.

The big one on the wheeled thing--I can't get up and down the stairs. I can see it now--unguided missile when I drop it. The nice RT last night told me that the portable concentrators didn't work well--but it's no matter--as my insurance won't pay to rent one anyway.

I did find a concentrator on Cl yesterday for $75. I might buy it if I can sell something quick to take to the office.

I'm still a tad worried about the c-pap weakening my muscles more--but the pulmonary doc did say he'd change it to bi-pap if that happens. He also had the c-pap exhale pressure lowered on the machine so I don't have to "fight" to exhale.

A portable electric chair and a cheap mini-van and I'll be almost a real person again! I'm waiting on a call back from a lady that might trade a powerchair for a spare electric bed I have from my school.

Trfogey--you're right about the 40ft cord. I already tripped over it once But I'm SOOOO happy to have it. It's probably psychological--but I feel more alert--and only got a little short of breath at the office today. It's plain silly to be tickled to death about being on oxygen--but I am so glad it seems to be making a difference--although it's very drying on my nose.

Thank you guys again
Closed Thread

Tags
cost, electric wheelchair, falling, manual, oxygen, power, scooter, walker, wheelchair