Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
even though i had symptoms of balance issues and clumsiness i was aware of before i have always marked the begining of may99 as my pls onset..............this is when the spasms/stiffness started in my legs.

this week is my 12year anniversary of living with pls and it gave me a nasty present to mark the occasion.............a humdinger of a charlie horse that covered the full length of the back of my left leg.:shock::cry:

yes you read correctely!
i woke up screeming about 7.30am this morning in utter agony.
the charlie horse started behind my knee,spread up the back of my thigh and down into the back of my lower leg.
the initial pain lasted about 20minutes but over 3hrs later the whole of the leg at the back is still painfully sore and crampy.:sad:
i have had odd bits of cramp but never anything like this in all the 12yrs............and no,i have done nothing out of the ordinary or been laid in a odd position.

happy anniversary!..............i hope its not a new chapter of progression and a continuing symptom to come.
somebody shoot me now!:roll:

oh Caroline! I have had that horrible type of cramp before too! It happened about a month ago. But since my onset of symptoms have been going on for so many years I did not know if it was on an anniversary of the cramps as I never took note of the actual onset of cramps! But so sorry you had that. They are so painful! I cried and yelled and it went on for about a half hour. Then I could barely put weight on that leg (my left) for a few days, without it going back into a spasm.

I pray yours doesn't last so long on recovery. I really do not have any suggestions on how to make it better. My instict was to get into my jaccuzzi bath tub and soak but I can no longer get out of that tub without a crane to lift me out.

oh Caroline hope it eases off soon xxx hugs xxx Ang

i have had to rest my leg all day,like you said joyce walking on it sets it off again though even just sitting down my muscles are very sore.
had odd cramp in my calfs but not all the muscles in the back of a leg.
i guess it will take a few days to settle down and hope it does not happen again.

if i had a bath instead of my wetroom i could have had a hot soak with some rosemary oil............i miss my long hot soaks with rosemary or lavender oil.
thankyou joyce.

hello ang,thankyou xxx

Bet your CK is through the roof! Sorry about all the pain caroline. It must be awful. Not a very good anniversary present.
Hope you feed better soon.
Aly

Caroline so sorry about the cramp, those things hurt!

it will eventually settle down if it was like mine. Although I get a twinge of pain in the same leg every so often that reminds me of the damage that the cramp caused to the muscle. I might have even tore a ligament/tendon behind the knee during the worse cramping part. Definately made my stronger leg weaker.

Caroline, I just want to share that your anniversary must be the reason for the sympathetic Charlie Horse cramps I've been enduring these past few days.

Happy Anniversary, Baby!

well,this morning its feeling just the same:-(
shaun said that it will be because my muscles are in shock.

aly,ck levels were one thing i have never researched though mine were raised in the begining when i had blood tests.
can trauma/shock from a major cramp raise ck levels?

joyce,it is my bad leg (left)which makes it more alarming.

kim,you too!....i am so sorry to hear that.

...............but i wont let it get me down.
i order my groceries on line to be delivered by asda which is a part of walmart.
we have a big superstore a couple of miles from us but i rarely get to go.
shaun is at work today and i need a few things to put me on till my delivery................so i have just decided to go for a drive there on my scooter.
never been near major roads so a bit nervous,just worried about where to cross and trying to plan the easiest route.

if you dont hear from me later today i have probably been in a traffic accident:shock::oops::roll:

Sorry for the lousy anniversary present! Hope that your trip today is uneventful. Be sure to charge up the battery before you leave! ;)

no need to call out the cavalry..............back safe and sound:D
i am so proud of myself,had to back track in a few places to find a safe place to cross but now i have done it it will be easier next time.
parked mine up inside and used one of the supermarket scooters to go round.

a bit stiff,legs the same and somehow i have managed to hurt my wrist as its a bit painfull and feeling weak...................just not my week so far.

Yes, CK levels can shoot up after major cramps. They damage the muscle cells, that's why it can take days for the bruised sore feeling to go away.

thankyou aly for that explanation..............it makes sense now.
i am cream crackered now,shower and bed for me.
take care till tomorrow xxx

Nighty-night, Caroline!

You just need a Baclofen, Valium cocktail along with a rubdown on those muscles with a "Arnica" based muscle gel.

Might also be worth $80 for a deep tissue massage.

Hey; try to keep those knees bent....I know; I am recovering from a more minor one now. And I thought I had this part of things working?

You may also know that this type of cramp has to fully occur before any relief can be applied. If you can stand to do it through the pain, force the calf muscle up towards the knee as the cramp is happening. THEN; you will feel it "release". And then you can move on with the stretching and other relief measures.

You probably know all this; sorry, I didn' mean to be patronizing.

Hope you recover quickly.

- Jerry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back