12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I know, I know....sounds a bit silly.

But I had the equipment already and I still have some mobility to use it; So, why not?

I have found that my weakest link is my core and perhaps I still have a chance to stave off some of the ALS belly for a while. We shall see.

My road bicycle is on a stationary trainer and I hope to use it to get into the aerobic zone....I don't want to loose weight; just move it around a bit. The Yoga classes continue twice a week and I hope to do the home stuff on the alternate days.

The key will be to see if I can stick to a good regimine with lots of sleep.

Just don't push it too hard. Two of the biggest challenges, in regards to excersise, for MND sufferers, is firstly, getting the right balance between improving the strength in unaffected muscles, without overdoing it. Secondly finding an excersise we can do that aerobically challenges us. It's hard to get your heart beat up, when your legs just don't go fast enough!

Best of luck with the bike.

Jerry, we have a recumbant stationary bike/rowing machine, which I used for quite a long time since my feet were strapped into the pedals. At the time, only my feet were weak... I loved it.

Core... I also did Pilates at home. Really is centered on the core.

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

And yes; I know what you are saying about overdoing. It will be quite a challenge to keep my sleep patterns working well for me.

Do you know that regular excersise, works as eficiently to combat depression as medication? I also went to a great rehab MS conference, that had amazing evidence of both excersis, helping depression and its ability to greatly reduce fatigue. I now try and help encourage my MS clients to get outside and go for a walk when they are feeling tired. Seems silly, but fatigue caused by neurolical illnesses, is really a very different thing from the healthy person feeling tired. Now there is a piece of useful but irrelevant information.

Aly

Hey do what you can as long as you can. I never hear a doc say not to exercise. have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back