Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
in the
City
somewhere
Can anyone tell me what they use for digestion disorders. I already had a slow bowel but add the meds on top and it has become impossible. I don't like using laxatives but after 7-10 days what else do you do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take two doses of 120 ml of prune juice through my peg tube per day and it seems to work but if you do a search for constipation there are threads where others have described what they do. Good luck!

Can't comment on bowel relief, but I sure do like Barry's new picture!

I take magnesium complex. It has 4 different kinds of magnesium in it; Malate, Citrate, Glycinate, Krebs cycle plus it has malic acid. I take 5 capsules a day and for the most part it keeps me moving. It has other bennefits that its helped me with too but I wont get into that now. I get it from my bro in law chiropractor and have not seen it on shelves at the stores. I have tried store brand magnesium that doesn't seem to help much. I do not want to break any rules here by posting the name here so you can look it up on the net as it is sold there I believe. Maybe pm me if your interested.

Other than that ...prunes sound like a good one too!

Eat a really large bowl of Rasin Bran.

Where do your bowel problems stem from? Most people with SCI bowel take low doses of stool softener indefinetely. Stimulant laxatives can't be used constantly, becaues you will build up a tolerance AND dependency on them. Most suppositories and enemas are ok. If it's UMN, have you tried digi stim?

Add fiber such as metamucil (the capsules are good if you don't like mixing the powder), and take it a couple of times a day. But the most important thing is adding a very high quality probiotic such as Udo's brand. My husband had endless problems until I put him on the good probiotic and fiber. It will take about a week to really see benefit once you add those things to your regime.
Laurel

Kim,
I have the same problem and with my doctor and Anns help the problem has been solved.I take two Senokot tabs at night and Ann told me about the Activia,I never had yogurt before and now I have it first thing in the morning and I love it.I talked about it today at MUSC and they think Im on the right track and also suggested prune juice.Best of luck.
Hugs ken

A BIG thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I guess that means I am going shopping tomorrow for some remedies. And Ken I am glad you arrived home from your travels to Charleston. Please let me know how the appt went.

Activia yogurt needs a week or two in order to change your gut--Once it did the job for me, it was actually too much help. I now depend on food based regulation, but would use Activia again if circumstances change. Hint: Sugar is constipating. Cocoa powder= high magnesium, and a laxative. Don't eat low fat products, due to their increased sugar content. Apples with skin, bananas, dried berries are all very good. Beans are good.

The really bad news is if this takes too long, you need to go to the ER and have your bowel cleared out. Impacted bowel can be a killer, and is not an easy way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back