Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I was told that many ALS'ers do better with Valium than with Baclofen to help with spacicity. I guess that is the right term. I experience this more as tightening and stiffening of my quad muscles. Someone asked me to describe this and I thought a minute and said; " it is like having an ear pierced or stepping on a nail".....not the pain, but the experience of having that foreign body impaled in you. It is hard to describe clearly.

Anyway; any votes for valium?

I have been diagnosed with ALS, but told it may be PLS. We will see how the progression goes.

I have read on the PLS mailing list that many people supplent their Baclofen/Zanaflex with Valium, but I can't think of anyone who uses Valium exclusively. In general, spasticity drugs are a trial and error thing though, I don't see the harm in trying it if your doc isn't against the plan.

I use Baclofen and Flexeril with a little Valium on the side! I still haven't had any relief from the spasticity. I have also used Soma; which was like taking Tylenol.

Kimberly

My Doc wrote a trial prescription of 5mg valium for me to use at bedtime. It works....I slept 2 hours; lol.

Bad Balance
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.

Someone please take a look at this post if it appears and tell me what triggered this need for moderation?

Did it have a link in it? Did you use the correctly spelled version of the word G88gle or the word F@rcebook? Did you copy a quote from someone who might have done that? Those are some reasons that will put your post in the moderation queue.

I suspect that there may be other words on David's moderation-worthy list, but I don't know what they are.

Maybe the word prescription. Don't worry happens to me a fair bit as well. Don't take it personally :)
Aly

Maybe the word prescription. Don't worry happens to me a fair bit as well. Don't take it personally :)
Aly

Looks like Aly called it right. The P word is used by a lot of forum spammers.

Ah but......I just used it and it did not got to moderation. The plot thickens!

I think that David is just messing with me....lol

Valium! Sounds like something I'd like to try but can't. The baclofen is probably helping but I'm still feeling the muscles do their thing. Valium would either make me too goofy or too inept to conduct business. Of the two, I'd prefer goofy over inept.

I am only taking this stuff at bedtime and it is subtle...at least in my system.
It does let me sleep well and I don't seem to have any morning problems.

The spacicity is still there with a vengance in the morning until I get a couple of Baclofen into me.

I have to take the Baclofen and Flexeril at least 1 hour before I try to put my feet on the floor. I also take the Soma in between the Baclofen doses. The Valium was taken twice during the day and 1 Amitriptyline at bedtime. I was taking these for several months and then the Doctor took me off all but the Baclofen and Flexeril just recently. Talk about withdraw. Now I can't even walk across the floor nor am I sleeping at night. Waiting on the new meds and will see how these work. I guess everyone has to find their own cocktail of meds. The Doctor did mention that 2 Benadryl will help you sleep at night but cannot be used with Flexeril.
And Kim, I took the Valium during the day without any funny feelings; but after a recent ER visit I was given Oxycodone-Acetaminophen 5-325 every four hours....That was the trick to take the pain away for once. Now that one made me feel loopy.

I was told that many ALS'ers do better with Valium than with Baclofen to help with spacicity. I guess that is the right term. I experience this more as tightening and stiffening of my quad muscles. Someone asked me to describe this and I thought a minute and said; " it is like having an ear pierced or stepping on a nail".....not the pain, but the experience of having that foreign body impaled in you. It is hard to describe clearly.

Anyway; any votes for valium?

I have been diagnosed with ALS, but told it may be PLS. We will see how the progression goes.
Hi

I have just trialled using Valium instead of Baclofen, and I am now using it full time. I found it made the stiffness in my leg a lot better, I have had people comment on how much better I am with my frame, and actually faster, yay. I would recommend it to anyone.

Take care
Tanyss

I have a visit at the Emory ALS clinic on the first and will ask about this.

I do believe that I use some measure of my spacicity to get around, so the Valium could be a possibility. Baclofen works but it is so hard to consistently dose correctly. The amount of sleep I have gotten and my strength are big factors.

Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back