Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
My head is spinning! I've never been a whiz at math and geometry was my nemesis. I phoned the pharmacy that filled my baclofen script to ask about the correct number of pills for a 3 month refill. They sent me a refill of 180 to last 3 months.

Okay, I'm taking 2 tablets, 3 times a day. So, in a 30 day period (i.e. 1 month), that equates to (6X30=) 180 pills, if my old math skills are correct. I called to let them know that a refill of 180 could not last for 3 months. The sweet lady pharmacist asked if I'd like to have it corrected. I suppose I wasn't making my point clear enough so I said, "Yes!".
So now I'm expecting a bottle of 270 more pills (a further 2 month supply) to compliment the 1 month supply they recently sent me, for a total of 3 months worth of the stuff.

Here's where she must have used new math.

I received a refill of baclofen yesterday containing a bottle of 540 pills (the bottle was a bit larger than what I've been used to seeing!). According to my figures, that's a 6 month supply but again, math has never been my strong point. If the bill comes and it is only for a 3 month refill, I suppose I will have to call them and let them know they have shorted themselves. But then again, maybe it's the "new math" they're employing in the computation of things.

Anyway, I'm set on the baclofen for a while!

I can't think about this much longer as it all makes my head hurt.

I received another bottle of my dear friend, baclofen, yesterday. It contained 540 pills.

One time when new math worked in your favor..

Kim, what can I say... Offer to send it back after you remove your pills (bad idea!) or send them a letter explaining old math? As an aside, I had to take courses in "new math" in college. I was also, like you, not fond of geometry by the way. The dangerous, telling thing is that I got As in new math. That never should have been possible. I didn't realize new math still was in use... It likely left and then was recycled since my day.

I would think this through and then call a supervisor at the VA.

I know that you have no need to stockpile or over-bump your dosage, but you would not want them to refuse your next prescription refill, eh? It sounds like they do not have math geniuses in the pharmacy.

I must have used another "wrong word" in my just submitted response post...it says that it will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.

Kim it reminds me of giving the teenager grocery clerk a $10 bill when the bill was $5.25. They have hit the key already saying I get back $4.75--when I suddenly give them 25 cents so that they can give me a $5 bill. 99% of the time they are stymied about what they should give me. I am always amazed that their math skills don't exist. But when the pharmacist can't do math, it is scary.
Laurel

I was appauled this year to find out that my 6th grader is encouraged to use a calculator at school! By the time I was in 6th grade..we were learning mental math! I told her that figuring numbers in her head will always come in handy and never require light to get an answer! (the calculators now a days have a little solar panel to make them run).

As for the pills, this happened to my husband once. He called, and the pharmacist told him to keep the pills because they would have to throw them away.

Got the bill from the pharmacy for the cramp candy (baclofen). I've been trying to figure out if they billed me for 3,4,5 or 6 months of the stuff. I'm soooo confused!

There is an elementary school a few blocks away. Perhaps the math teacher can help me figure it out.

In the meantime, I'm looking for alternative ways to stop this infernal spasmotic cramp business that never ceases to annoy. Might go back to sucking on 9volt batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back