Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
My middle daughter's boyfriend talked me into helping a friend of his out. His friend's wife had a unique valentine's gift in mind: "Hubby, get rid of that old upright piano that's been in our garage like, forever and let me have space to park my car in the garage."

I don't know why I say yes to these things. The 3 of us (me, my daughter's boyfriend and his friend with the mandated valentine's day present per wifey) proceeded to move a 56" upright from 1912 into the back end of a pickup truck. Yes, this was done on the cheap! We (or one of us) should have rented a uhaul or a ryder (they have lift-gates).

Long story short, the piano weighed about 700lbs. Oh, yeah! I had to move a bunch of stuff in my garage to accommodate said piano. Then I got the stupid idea to move the big booger into the house. In order to do this, I had to move a rather large piano desk (made from a 1905 big upright) out of the house. While moving the piano desk out of the house (this required a little more muscle than I have but use to have) my dolly gave out (it had more sense than me). Now I have a garage full of piano shaped objects and no room for MY CAR! (insert big sigh....)

I'm an idiot! (I said it before any of you could!)

I still refuse to believe I have anything degenerative in nature going on. (I must have spelled "degenerative" wrong because the computer underlined it in red, as if to say, "Hey, idiot! You spelled it wrong!" Despite the ongoing, relentless muscle spasms, stiffness, crazy walk-thing going on, I'm fine! Just motoring right along as evidenced by a garage full of what use to be someone else's stuff! Guess who's wife is not happy now....

Anyway, because of this activity and other recent piano tuning & moving activity, my legs have become like jello and my arms like rubber bands and more muscles than I can count are screaming at me (as if to yell, "You idiot!"). Even my hands have joined in the mix.

I'd like to say that I really feel terrible but hey, I'm a warrior, right?

Last edited:
Zaph,
At least you wont have to use the dolly to complete the move, just a broom. :lol:

Take it easy for a while, you are not as young as you were. :lol:

cheers
Peter

Good Morning, Peter!

How are things down under?

yup...sounds like your gonna hurt for tomorrow! I did something stupid today too. I was quite perturbed at my boys today...they didn't do the plowing and shoveling as I asked. So I go outside and grab the shovel...5 minutes of pushing snow around I could barely stand up! Between being underdressed for the weather thus being cold and fighting the spastic mess I had become plus the pain I was in...well that laid me up for the rest of the day and not sure if tomorrow I will be up much either. Stupid disease!

Some sleep, rest and good food will help. Someone who is well meaning told me, "you are just waking up those sleeping muscles". It's like the people who want you to add weight on the machine when all you should do is work on range of motion.

We are worst on ourselves with these "denial moments" I think.

Zaphoon.....great job moving that Piano! I know this sounds weird....but hold onto that wonderful moment. I know my husband would love to lift anything ...one more time. PS-both of our boys started the piano last month...they are loving it. Andrew really enjoys listening to them play..even if it is the same song 50 thousand times. Nurse those injuries...and keep fighting.

I'm the good packer in our house, and we're executing a complicated move. In phase 1, not only did I hurt myself the traditional way, I actually tore something to moderate bleeding in my rectum. After recovering from that, in phase 2, I merely knocked my immune system so badly that a full course of antibiotics hasn't gotten me well again. I do not look forward to the doc's face come Tuesday when I'm worse instead of better.

On the plus side, I'm sure watching a powerchair rider trying to pack things above their head with just biceps and no triceps has to at least be a little comical?

See, I accept I have a degenerative disease, I just recognize I can't make it better. So not getting things done seems unattractive, given there is no better time coming.

Cute ploy to highlight your hero skills to your wifey and giving her a reason to be extra extra happy when things get moved out of YOUR garage. Sounds like Real Hero stuff to me! Good work helping somebody out!

Hi Zaph,
Sorry i didn't get back earlier but had visitors and time got away.

Things are the same down under for me. Doing not a lot of physical work but a lot on the computer for the organizations that i am tied up with.

Still managing to have my Coopers every night though. :lol:

cheers
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back