Diagnosis
12/2009
Country
US
State
MT
City
Great Falls
I was diagnosed with Primary Lateral Sclerosis a year ago, and have been thinking about the consequences ever since. As I have told my family and friends, I use the analogy of winning the lottery. Given the extreme rarity of the disease, and the devastating alternative, I can't think of a better description. I am already experiencing all the symptoms, from clonus, spasticity, weakness, fatigue, speech and swallowing problems... So the future will be interesting. But having known two people that have died of ALS, I've accepted my fate knowing that I am one of the lucky ones.

first off...welcome to the group!
I like your analogy when its compared to als. One day at a time is all we can do at this point and sometimes its one moment at a time!

Thanks for the welcome... Point well taken on the comparison to only ALS. It is not my intention to diminish the suffering of those with PLS, but only put my own diagnosis in perspective. Perhaps there will be a day I won't feel so lucky.

sjerwin,

Welcome to the forum and no congratulations on winning the medical lottery. PLS, in my opinion, just sucks! My legs have been on fire with cramps these past few days and the meds don't seem to be helping much.

Well, okay. I suppose they would probably be worse without the meds but I can't imagine what that would feel like!

Nice to have you here but sorry you have the nasty beast!

Welcome from down under as well. Your thoughts are reflected here as well. Its weird to feel lucky, but PLS is just a weird place to be.
Aly

It is a fluttery path. I hope that PLS is the steady course.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back