12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Anyone doing Yoga ?

I went in for a private lesson to let them evaluate my abilities and to tailor a program of adaptations for me. Although we did not seem to do much, by the end of the session, I was quite tired.

There is still some stretch to be developed....I just have to watch it or the shaking begins. I cannot get too tired or it is all counterproductive. The breathing was quite nice and I am hoping that this will let me hold on to a range of motion longer. I need structure to my week and this commitment will help me in that way too.

I was doing it when I could on the Wii fit program, but I can no longer stay balanced in the positions they do.

My mom does it and holds on to a chair because her legs are wobbly. She does water aerobics also. My mom is a tough lady who continues to fight. She said she will do it as long as she can.

I used the WII for a while . Its good to heklp you improve balance. You can hold onto a chair for assistance if you get wobbly. but nothing beats the water. There are just so many passive and nonpassive exercises you can do

Yes she loves it. It uses your muscles without pain atleast not in the water. Well yesterday they went to germany so hope this week is good for my mom. she went for stem cell treatment. Its our home so its a vacation with a bonus.

I will be checking on whether it is possible to use the pool at Emory will being treated in the clinic. I live very near the campus and I have been told the same things that the pool will be my friend.

Enjoy the water from what my mom says it makes her feel good. But 1/2 hour is enough for her and than she gets tired. So don't over do it. Go into it slowly. Have fun!

Well; I am doing the Yoga with weights class at a center in Atlanta and before you say "ah, posh"; let me say it is gentle stuff with small hand weights of 2 - 8 lbs.

But; it is so easy to overdo....only one day between classes and I am a hurting cowboy today. I will have to watch my need for obsessive instant results and go a bit easier in todays session.

Recovery is so important for us since our muscles do not regenerate like a normal persons'.

That's good that you are doing that. I know my mom feels very tired after that but she loves it. She does it for 30 mins 3times per week. Also does excersise at home. I guess keeping active is good but not to over do!

I would LOVE to do water exercises this year and will definitely look into it this summer at either the nearby college or the local wellness center! I used to do regular yoga before I was stricken with this and really liked the way I felt relaxed when it was all over.

In the water it feels different. It feels good but you can overdue quickly. So just do it for half hour and see how you feel.

I realize that this is only a temporary "bubble", but I would encourage anyone with mobility to give the Yoga a try. It is really helping me.

- Jerry

i used to do tai chi before pls.
even though its a martial art its similar with its slow gentle movements and good for overall well being and fitness.
i did try it again a few years after pls onset as i thought it would be gentle enough but found it too much for my muscles...................the thing is with tai chi and yoga is that it may seem gentle but in fact its just as taxing on the body as an all out gym workout and you do need to be moderatly fit to start with.
gentle half hour water aerobics would be better as the water cushions and supports the body.
i can no longer swim as my torso and lower body is too weak .
in a town near by theres a private rehab gym/pool that may do water aerobics but it may be too expensive,.
could try a nice private pool were you can do your own little routine.

So far, my symptoms are presenting in my legs. I have a drop foot and hyper-spastic muscles....especially my quads. So far I am getting around ok with a cane...except that I look funny; lol.

I am working on my upper body during these Yoga sessions. It occurred to me that even if it's only for a bit of time, I want to be in some shape for a manual wheel chair.

My soreness from exercising is not painful, but it is not like anything I have experienced in the past. Maybe its the Baclofen? Not sure. I am trying not to overdo; but being obsessive is in my nature....I do get really tired; but I am excited to feel some measure of athleticism again.

I took a different route from home yesterday because a rental moving truck was blocking my normal way. It turns out there is an Aikido dojo only two blocks from my house. If this week goes well, I am going to stop by. I really would like to be able to roll again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back