Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Northport
My neck has been killing me again! I'm about to take several days away from the computer to see if that helps but this has been an issue I've dealt with since I started having the other symptoms and I don't know if it's autonomic dysfunction and/or PLS/ HSP. Does anyone else have killer neck pain? I can see amputating my leg but my neck? ha.:?:

Jennifer you wont like my answer. I do suffer with extreme neck pain because the muscles in the neck are so stiff that they have misaligned my neck bones. Because of that, I have a pinched nerve that causing my hands to go numb while I lay down.

Amazinginly enough...I have been seeking chiropractic help from my bro in law chiropractor. He understands my problem and has been treating me up to 3 times a week. When he does my neck he does not do the twist and crank method that so many chiros do. He uses what is called an activator which is a spring loaded device that thumps the bones in place. Although it is very low impact of a thump because he thumps his finger that is placed over the bone on my neck. It takes longer for there to be any effects from this because it is so low impact. But...after doing this for 2 months I can now say that my hands are no longer going numb at night. I also can turn my head and look over my shoulder somewhat...before this I couldn't do that. I still have muscle issues with the neck and it will always be a battle I suppose. I have my hubby rub the muscles out when they get really stiff and take a tizanadine if that doesn't work. I also use icepacks to help keep the inflamation down. That also works temporary.

My problem is I have arthritis in c-spine lumbar and lumbar spine and hips. Also have curvature of the spine. I never know what's cause the aches in neck. I have always thought was arthritis...but now I'm wondering. I don't get the aches everyday unless I over exert myself. I take a 800 mg of Ibpropen and it seems to take care of it. However, I find I'm getting the aches more these days. I also went to a chiropractor and he used that gun thing on my hips which are my weak link..hip abductors and gluts. It helped but it is temporary.

well, girls..i read somewhere...that spasticity can cause neck probs...even the arthriris and such...many people think their motor symptoms are caused by thie arthritis and whatever...but no!...its the motor thing that causes the spaz that nackers the neck...or i think i read it..bears thinking about , does it not?... i just read this back and i sound just like a know it all...i know nothin!..just chucking it out there...........johnnyspazzer

I'm not saying whose a pain in the neck.............but Johnny, while I believe your statement has merit, I don't believe that all osteoarthritis is caused from spasticity. Spasticity is caused by the misfiring in the motor neurons. Yes, it may be the cause of some arthritis but everyone in my family is full of arthritis...familia. When I had my startle response, my neck and back were tight, but I got regular massages which helped. I think spasticity not treated could cause some arthritis, but not in general. My humble opinion. It just seems to me in the short time I've been on these boards, doctors need to explain things more to potential PLS patients. I am again on my soap box again about seeing a physical therapist .They also threat neck pain.

Now to change the subject slightly, onto mookies physical therapy....... I am away on a months holiday( actually sitting in heathrow lounge waiting for the 26 hours in the air,,) the purpose of my holiday was to spend each day physically pushing myself to the limit, without ant excuses like kids, work etc. My husband wanted to see how I was and decide whether he would take leave on our return. My disability seemed to be progressing and I was falling a bit.

On the fights over I got wheelchair assistance. I was in agony the first 4 days, but we walked everywhere. When I needed to rest, we rested. If I walked as slow as a snail at the end of the day, I still inched my way home. I have improved a little bit each day. My cane has not been used once.I have been at it for a month now and I cannot believe the difference.
Walking on cobbles and very uneven surfaces has improved my balance, I am more positive after all the trauma before I left, with my face cancer etc. I can get up a few more stairs and a bigger slope.

What I am trying to say is that you get a diagnosis of a progressive disease and you start to focus on the disease, how you are doing each day, am I worse? Blah blah blah. It starts to define you. The exercise has been amazing and I will keep it up when I get home.

I also had a chance to evaluate the Baclofen, doing the same kind of things each day. I broke the doses down into 4 x day instead of 3. This helped free me up to keep walking..

So.... Go the physical therapy, and try the uneven surfaces for balance.

I am about to board mt Air New Zealanf flight for home. It's a huge walk, but I am going to do it on my own. I cancelled the wheelchair. ( I will just leave 10 mins before everyone else)

As for the neck, well I have a 2 bone grafts and a big titanium plate! How's that for getting it wrong. The discs were not causing my arm weakness after all. Well you have to laugh.

Jonny just been talking to a nice man from Dinas Powys. You welsh chaps are sooooo charming.

Aly the far too talkative person!

Aly,'t

You go girl. I find that grass is easier to walk on than concrete, just watch the holes. I wouldn't over do it with the walking. Start slow. Everyone who can should walk 30 minutes a day. I never cancel that wheelchair at airports.......noooo....get through quicker. The other reason is in larger crowds I get a little anxiety which slows me up more. I hope when you're walking so much your stretching when you get home. I can't emphasize the importance of stretching everyday especially when you are active. If you go to physical therapy, I might suggest gait training first. Then go for strength training. Well, I'm sure they'll send you after the neck surgery. I wouldn't over do anything right now with your neck problems. Ya, laughter is what keeps me going too...Take care....and yes the welsh chaps are quite charming and witty.

mooky..i didnt say spaz causes all arthritis..wat u think iam....a nutter¬ dont answere that!///.....my pain in the neck was is caused by spastic...so said my neuro.....my missus says am a pain in the butt...caused by being a pain.......so i kicked her there..and blamed me clonus..so she made me a cuppa and a butty and waited on me hand and foot for an hour.............poor sod she spends half her life at the kitchen sink...but then shes happy there.like women are.....ta ta for now....johnnypain

forgot to mention...my neuro..told me.. my left shoulder and hip had dropped..looking in the mirror it sure had..caused apparently by spaz and contracture..so..spaz can effect the whole skeleton body..i think! unless i heard wrong....................johnnycharmingwittyandwelsh

Johnny you break me up. Are you related to Benny Hill ?

AL.

al..i loved benny...the british left wing ******* ..we know whats best for you..plonkers..got him kicied off british tv......he was loved by nearly everyone...so much for democracy!...sometimes i dispair..but then i"d rather av a laugh....cry freedom. st george and harry.........johnnyhadmythursdaynightlagersandmayregretwhatipostedtomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back