Diagnosis
5/2010
Country
US
State
New York
City
Silver Creek
Has anyone tried a combination of Baclofen & Tizanidine in small doses? I've been experiencing symptoms of PLS for going on 2 years now and have had limited success with both of these medications. I have stiffness & spasms, both of which are slightly decreased by one or the other meds. Things that affect my stiffness are the cold & stress or emotions. I'm also very stiff when first standing up after sitting for a while. I have to stand there for a minute befor I attempt to move or I'll lose my balance. Has anyone else experianced the same causes of stiffness?

yes I am stiff after sitting up or laying down or anywhere that I have been for longer than a minute or so. Then I have spasms that get worse the longer I am up and moving about. So its a loose loose situation with me. I had taken tizanidine for years off and on. Never on a schedule until just this year when I couldn't walk anymore. But it always made me sleepy. So when I heard of baclofen on this site I asked the doc and we tried it. It seems to work about the same as tizanindine but without the sleepiness. I take it 3 times a day if I remember.

But it doesnt' take all the spasm and stiffness away. It only makes it so I can walk alittle better.

I also find that when I get upset or feeling pressured by anything I stiffen up significantly to the point of making it hard to make decisions. I get headaches that are totally just muscles on the outside of my skull that are knotted up and have to be massaged out. When I get stiff and painful to the point of not moving...even though I have taken my baclofen, I will take a tizanidine to help control the spastic mess I had become. This seems to usually work to getting it back down to tollerable levels.

Many people on the mailing list took one of them to max dose, then the other, and if max dose of both doesn't do enough, add Klonapine. They have a good experience, so I can't imagine a mix of small doses would be bad.

the two symptoms that can exacerbate PLS symptoms are: COLD AND ANXIETY. I moved to Florida for the winter. I will not take baclofen. I comprimised and take diazapam(valium) in small dose 4 mg a day, a secondary treatment for PLS. It has been a life saver for me. Physical therapy yearly is a must for me. Stretching exercises everyday help spasticity. I don't allow myself to get upset and remove people from my life that have the potential to get me upset. I also got those headaches on top of skull too but not to the extent you have to deal with. I used to get so stiff I actually looked like a tin man. After starting low dose of diazapam that stopped. Everyone is different with this damn disease. Now after I got rid of the stiffness from anxiety in my body....what the hell do you think happens....lol...my bublar muscles are weakening and I can't talk when I get upset. Oh, well, now have to find something for that. I also get sitff after sitting too long. Never know what's causing it because I has osteo arthritis in back, hips, and hands...so that's a toss up for me...lol....I just try to stay one step ahead of the disease and have a good attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back