Learn about ALS
Country
uni
State
wales
City
swansea
One last question for a while, promise!

My mate dropped me home from the boozer and we stopped outside my house and had a chat about statins. It appeared he had been on them for sometime and was having trouble with his walking and stiffness all over his body. His son, a medical rep told him to get off them quick. He did and he swears to me that all his problems disappeared. Now, I have been on them things for seven years, so last night i quit them. I have to wait and see what the reaction is, if any. Now maybe, just may be theres something in what he says, could it really be my problem? Could the answer in my case be that simple. Please, I'd love to know your thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time will tell but I hope you experience positive results. It is possible.

There is a possibility of this being true. Some people have this problem while others do not when taking statins.

My Mom was on statins for approximately 15 years. When she started having muscles pains a couple of years ago she went off them. She was off and on them last year while undergoing testing for foot drop and probable ALS. When I mentioned to her that statins cause muscle pains a month after her probable ALS diagnosis she went off the statins. Within weeks she was able to lift her "drop" foot unassisted again. Imagine our excitement thinking her issues weren't ALS afterall but caused by the statins...needless to say it was short lived and soon again she was unable to lift her foot. We now have a confirmed ALS and she is pretty much confined to a wheelchair today. Her neuro told her to stay off the statins...so she has.

my doctor also told me this past week to stop taking them as well when he was certain i had ALS.

Rox

My husband never took statins until after he was DX. I took him off a couple of months ago because there is some research out there that shows a high cholestorol is a good thing for PALS.

johnny.
there was an article in the daily mail ,i think last year that mentioned statins can cause neurological symptoms in some people.
my cholestral level is above normal but because i am thin,dont drink or smoke and have hypotention my gp says its ok to leave it.
i eat high calorie foods to keep the wieght on so i think thats why mine is high...........the alternative would be to waste away.
i think i did post that article,will look for it.

Rhabdomyolysis is the irreversible problem they are linking to Statins.I'm pretty sure a CPK(CK) blood test may be able to rule that out, but need to go back and read the article I read on it.I stopped Statins a month ago.My weakness is not as bad as it was.I was told I had the strength of a post polio patient. Nothing else has improved, but I still wonder if Statins were not a large contributing factor to my problems now.I have posted twice before about this.I just can't figure out it caused fibs and psw's.

Joel or Al, will you help Akmom?Maybe retrieve her post or something.Don't worry Akmom, it could have been misread.They will let you know,
I'm sure.

well thanks gang...i have decided am off em for good....i"d rather have a heart attack than any other way of kicking the bucket..........and u can live too long too.....if just one symptom disappears ..great..if not..ah! well....have a good weekend..loves..johnnypool

Hay John,

Check with your Doc if you have the means to do it. Mine said absolutely not,but I never follow anyone blindly.I have substituted Norweigan Cod Liver Oil and CoEnzyme Q10.
Some PALS I have talked to have naturally low cholesterol, which is probably why they tolerate and even may sometimes crave the saturated fat diet. I'm having mine checked every other month, but so far it's normal.There are several PALS that I wrote that took statins before diagnosed, are off them now, and still have low cholesterol.

Just be careful.

Hi Johnny
there was a TV programme last year about the side effects of statins and a few
people were interviewed all with symptoms that mimic MND so I came off mine ( I had not been diagnosed then) I had only been on then 18 months when I had slurred speech and a spasm in my left arm anyway my spasms I didnt have for quit a while but my speech didnt get any better so I went back on them for a month or two and then decided to come off again , when I was diagnosed I told my Nuero I had been on and come off and the advice was stay off them that they were not good for some people with muscle problems, however on my last blood test my colestral was up to 7 so I was advised to go on other medication for it but not statins I was prescribed something else but it made me feel sick all the time and I lost 3pounds in a week I couldnt eat so I have stopped taking them and I put the weight back on in about 10 days ( like Olly I am eating hight calorie food)if you google "side effects of statins " it is interesting but there are also sites that say they are fine
take care
Scouse

if you are overwieght ,smoke or have a family history of heart disease then please take care and seek an alternative approach.
you can control cholestral through diet,the yogurts and dairy foods to help lower it do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back