Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
uni
State
wales
City
swansea
i had.......had needles in left arm and leg...each time the guy fired off an electric shock..........up and down my arm and leg.....now my more knowledgeable friends what was that all about?.......from someone who never asked enough questions can you give me a clue.........and did i spell knowledeable right?..........cheers, johnny

I had one of those done last November. They are very painful...especially when the muscle cramps so hard it doesnt release for a couple days. They are some type of nerve conduction test where they measure the signal of the shock wave in a set of nerves. Or something to that extent. The one the doc did in my right arm sent it into a spasm that would not relax...then the next few days left that arm almost useless. He told me that the test did not show anything significant but that is also when he said I should go to the Mayo clinic for further testing because he suspected PLS but he wasn't qualified to diagnosed it because he had never seen a case of it.

And its spelled 'knowledgeable'. I learned that looking at this word as three words together 'know' 'ledge' 'able'.

joyce..you spotted my deliberate mistake.........so its not unlike an EMG test?......you learn "so" " me" th" "ing" new" everyday.........loves the pool......

Hi .
Nerve conduction tests are the ones that send the shocke. They test the speed that it takes the nerve impulse ro go from the point of the shock administration to the electrodes that they tape or attach to say... your fingers or toes. This tests the sensory nerves.

An EMG is where they put the needles into different nerves and use the readings on the screen along with what they hear to assess the state of the motor nerves. They put the needle in and you have to relax (hard when it hurts) and while the muscle is totally relaxed, they listen for fasciculations firing. Then they (painfull) move the needle into different muscle fibres while you relax and then use the muscle. They can tell from the readouts on the computer and the electrical noises that they hear, hoew the nerves to that particular muscle are working.

They do not send electrical shocks down the EMG needle, although with all the noises you hear you probably think they do!

I have had 5 now, My Dr says he will watch me do the next one myself (yea right) Ha Ha.
Sensory nerves are not attected my MND, but they usually will always do a NCS before the EMG.

Any more questions just Fore away.
Not sure I explained myself very well.
Aly

Sorry I meant the needles go into the muscles not the nerves. Gosh my typing has got really bad since I got this thing! I do not know why.
Sorry Jihnny there are lots of mistakes yet again.
Aly (the crap typist)

i had nvc test,everytime they zapped me i nearly went through the ceiling with the hyper reflexes..........swore a couple of times too.

Johnny, I don't know the name of the test but I have had it done a few times. What they are doing is measuring the the time it takes for the electrical current to run for point A to point B so they can identify if and where there may be a breakdown in the nerve transmittal.

Jim

yes, now i get it. thank you gang and jim.......i now remember the guy using a measuring tape and marking off the distances........and also the hyperrefexes going off like the clappers........ta ta again and top of the world to you all lots of love the pooler...........

thanks gang and jim.........i remember the guy using a tape to measure the distances.......and the hyperrefletic reaction.............it was similar to the startle reflex i had at the time......ta ta for your input..lots of love johnnyjustbackfromthepubwith3pintsoflagerdrunkandfeelingmellowandlookingforagoodnightskip.......

3 pints of lager and am not seeing double..just typing double............what day is it?.........

johnnylagerlout,be carefull walking when tanked up........dont want any accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back