Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Northport
My new doc is Michael J. Fox's doctor.. have I told you guys that? He is actually a movement disorder doc but works with the NMD clinic that I saw over a year ago.

He feels something is definitely going on with my upper motor neurons based on symptoms and reflexes. He pointed out things I had not even noticed, like that when he rubbed on one leg my other leg moved in as well. He said you rarely, if ever, see that. STRANGE THING is that my right leg reflexes are now more hyper than my left, the leg I have the most problems with! He seemed impressed with the clonus in my right leg. ha. He said he was surprised I wasn't having more problems with my arms/mouth. Actually I drop things quite a bit and as for my mouth, I am starting to choke and have excess saliva but that's minimal.

He is going to comb through my original images from my MRIs with the neuroradiologist, go through all of my labs and in October I may go through EMG, blood work, and more, based on what they find/don't find.

He feels that this is affecting my heart and g.i. system and we are looking at three major issues in addition to the possibility of a tumor somewhere that is affecting all of my systems. Mainly we are looking at Primary Lateral Sclerosis, Spinal Muscular Atrophy and Multiple System Atrophy.

So my husband and I were both pleased with not only his knowledge and thoroughness but also with his desire to truly get to the bottom of this and the way he acknowledged that this was pretty complicated and wasn't going to slap a diagnosis on it, although my neuro still thinks it is PLS.

THANK YOU, Rose and Caroline, for your messages asking about my visit!

Jennifer

that should say clonus in right foot, not leg. :)

hi jenifer.
wow! mj fox's neuro.............ooohhh ,aint we the lucky one lol.
seriously,he sounds great thats brilliant.
so pleased it all went well........no diagnosed yet but at least now you feel you are starting to get somewhere.:razz:
take care.caroline

Isn't it wonderful when you get a Doc that you feel so great about. We recently switched to the Forbes Norris ALS center in San Fran, and the Docs there are GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back