Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Hawthorne
Hi everyone! my dad was diagnosed with PLS last year, and he just stopped working last month because he just couldn't keep walking without the aid of his walker (he is a waiter.) We have decided to apply for SSD. Will he be approved for SSD? We have a latter with the diagnosed from his neuro, in fact many letters. Is it likely that he will be approved? He can't work anymore, and we don't know where else or who else to turn to. thanks in advance.

God bless!

hello first you make a appt with social security and take all your letters and last year w2 they will start you on your jurney .

good luck

I was just diagnosed with PLS a little over a month ago, and I've already received my first SSD check! I applied in May, before I had the diagnosed, and had the help of an attourney, but my neuro said I would have gotten SSD anyway!

There is ALWAYS a 5 month wait starting from the time you stopped working to get a check. The only thing that would change it is if you make less than a certain amount each month(about $800) This is for SSDI. SSI is different, but you must not have work credits in order to get this. HUGS Lori

You don't even have to go in the office. You can apply online. In fact, you can sit with your Dad and do it for him. I did it for my husband. He was approved (with a diagnosed of ALS) in about 5 weeks.

sadiemae is correct, I had to say that the PLS was affecting my ability to work in August of last year in order to get SSD so fast! There is also something called "Compassionate Allowance" that you can apply for which will speed up the whole process!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back