Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Harrisonburg
:D For those of you who thought you'd NEVER be able to get on a horse again(like me), there IS a way you MAY be able! I had heard of therapeutic horseback riding and knew it helped people in wheelchairs, people with emotional and physical disabilities etc. so I Googled therapeutic horseback riding in Va.(my state) and a few places popped up! I chose the Hoofbeats program at the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Va. and they told me I qualified because I have enough trunk control to sit upright unassisted. I am paying $200.00 for 8 sessions(once a week). You may be able to pay $25.00 each session if it's more convenient to your pocketbook. I was nervous as to how this all happened but they have great horses and a ramp to roll your wheelchair or walker up...and they help you on the horse and someone leads it and someone walks beside you...you get the feel of riding again and you'll do more each time.
I've had 2 sessions so far...my first horse was big and tall and I had to concentrate on feeling secure on his back BUT after the (specially trained) teachers assessed me they switched me to a shorter horse with a shorter, smoother stride and IT WAS SUPER! You may have to experience different horses to get the right one for YOU! I am THRILLED to be on a horses back again!

i am soooooooo thrilled for you:grin:
its brilliant you can do this and get great enjoyment.
i did a bit of riding in my early teens as i had a friend who had horses.
tallyho:grin:

Wow, your joy leaps off the page! And how kind to share this opportunity with others; I hope there are some takers. Now me personally...I was on a horse last summer for a trip through a rain forest and was so petrified a small boy had to lead my horse while I clung on for dear life. My family boasts they will never let me live it down. I envy those of you who can be near and on horses without experiencing absolute terror.

My GOSH! A ride through a rainforest...AWESOME! WHERE? Y'know...I DO hope someone gets something out of this! It has made a difference for some people as far as their walking ability. It is truly a gift from God to ME!

OLLY...could you still ride now?

:lol::lol::lol:i dont think so.
i only did some in my teens,but i suppose its like riding a bike.............you pick it back up easily.
we have a few stables in my area with it having alot of farms,a few riding schools but not aware of any for disabled........i suppose there will be.

I just "Googled" therapeutic horseback riding in Va.(my state) and it brought up what was in the area! I'm sure they would have it in the UK...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back