Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NE
City
Scottsbluff
I live in a house that has stairs into the house (that is not able to change because the house is on an elevated cement slab). The laundry room is downstairs (in the basement). My husband and I are doing improvements and I am trying to consider the future (although not dwelling on it). Any ideas?:roll:

We are fortunate and everything we need is on our first floor. We did move my husbands office to our bedroom as he is still working from home. We are in the process of having a lift put in to gain access to the house from the garage. Only doing what is necessary for now.

JustJ, thanks so much for the info.! I am trying to be logical and practical about this--but also trying not to "rain on my husband's parade" and make him think I've just given in. Or maybe that's just my thinking. I guess I feel like if I keep this quiet as long as I can, it doesn't really exist and using assistance is just giving in. He mentioned to me, jokingly (I guess he doesn't know this isn't a joke) that maybe he should put a wheelchair lift by the front door for me. Little does he know, I'm considering it for the back door.:-|

We have a Savaria porch lift that goes up 6 feet to get me from back door/patio up to sidewalk and driveway level.

AL.

Hmmmm . . . maybe I'll have to consider that. Pardon my stupidity but, how do I get more information on it?

How high are your stairs into your house? A ramp would be another possibility when you need it. I guess you don't use a wheelchair now, and I know it is hard to imagine taking that step. With PLS you might have very slow progression and maybe you won't need it for a long time.'

My experience with the wheelchair is that it is a gradual transition. It's not like one day I was walking all over the house and the next I was stuck in the chair all day. I got it pretty early and started using it for practice, and to see where the problems would be. We got ramps, etc. I came to use it more and more. But I can still get up and walk when I want to or need to, like to kick something out of the way. But it is very relaxing and restful to be able to go around the house without exerting myself. If and when you get to the point where you feel tired out from the walking you do, get a WC and start experimenting with it. Then you will have a better idea about what you need to do.

That's great that you're thinking ahead about the laundry though! No reason hubby should have to learn to sort his own socks as long as you can drag yourself up and down the stairs. :) Seriously, it sounds like at some point he will have to take over that little chore.

There are four steps up to the porch and then one step into the house. Carrying groceries in is quite a chore . . . have to drape all of the bags on one arm and pull up on the railing. Then open the door, put the bags on the floor, pull myself into the house, then pick up the bags and carry them to the kitchen. By that time I am sooooo tired and I still have to put the groceries away!:-x
As far as the laundry goes . . . I'm thinking of having him put the laundryroom on the main floor (where, I don't know). It's either that or teach him to do the laundry.:wink:
I'm trying to think ahead but be nonchalant about it with him so he doesn't think I've just given in.
V

Hi Val,
as you know i also have PLS (still walking, if you can call it walking) but have started planning for the future.
I guess i am lucky that i dont have any stairs home, just single steps front and back and a flat house.
With that in mind i have concentrated on making only one entrance "wheel chair" friendly, the back one and kept the front as is.

What I have done so far is.
Got a landing and ramp built at the back (ground sloped away from the house)
Replaced relevant inside doors with sliding doors for ease of opening etc. (some people just remove them all together)
started mods to the bathroom to make it easier to use. i.e. installed some hand rails in the shower, (more work to do to make it bigger in the future) and by the toilet.
Purchaced a lift chair to aid in getting up.

Arranged with my MND association for a loaner power chair etc for when i need it etc.

I hope i dont have to use any or all of the things i have done or planning to do for a long time but as many here say its better to be one step ahead of this than one step behind. (the lift chair is brilliant, should have had one years ago)

I hope this helps you
cheers
Peter

We just knocked out a wall to make the bathroom bigger and more accessible and put in a walk in shower loaded with grab bars. Investigating stair lifts as I live in a house like yours... we call them a basement entry here in BC. Its all expensive but after reading comments on this site I realize it is never too early to prepare.
s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back