Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Vandalia
Okay I tend to worry and freak out about stuff. I had an episode 2 weeks ago, where I was eating. After I was done eating I started coughing and gagging and spitting up foamy spit. My husband called 911 I was barely breathing. they took me to the hospital where they did nothing but told me I probably had GERD follow up with my GI doc. So I did the next day. He scoped me said everything looked fine. I was still having breathing issues, went to my family doc, she put me on amoxicilian, an inhaler gave me some zyrtec. Sent me on my way. ended up back in the ER that eve with breathing problems. Lung sound clear doc said probably have bronchitis. Gave me prednisone for 5 days, breathing treatments. I seem to be doing better but I am still having a swallowing issue. I saw a pathologist yesterday she put a camera in my throat said no mucus (which is what my problem is feels like I can't swallow cause of all the mucus) I am somewhat short of breath but I know bronchitis can last for awhile. She said could be GERD in my throat follow back up with my pulmonary doc. I have been having pains in my legs on / off (more left) for the past 2 years. It will go away and come back. I havent had anything until the last week where it just feels like my legs are weak. I am not tripping over anything and it comes and goes. Also left arm has been bothering me. They thought I was having heart issues over the past 2 years. I have had every heart test done. The arm just feels weak but not dropping anything and it is always my left side of my body. They are sending me to Cleveland Clinic for my heart and I see a neurologist next week. today i am sitting here and my tongue starts to feel numb all of a sudden. Its not and maybe all of this is just anxiety and panic over worrying about all of this. I googled my symptoms and ALS came up and again, I am freaking out. I am a 34 y.o. female. I know it can happen to anyone I have just been through the ringer in 2 years with testing and I just want to feel like my normal self again. I used to be so outgoing but now I dont want to do anything. I am also going to see a psychologist.
Does the swallowing along with the left leg and arm pain sound like ALS or could all of this be nerve related ? Just curious.
Thank you for your time and God Bless you all!

I am not a doctor, but your symptoms don't sound anything like ALS to me. What symptoms led you to think that you might have ALS?

Wow, I am sorry to hear all the things you have been going through. With all that going on, it almost sounds like ALS would be a step up for you. :) Sorry, I shouldn't joke about that. But seriously, with so many things going wrong, it is not surprising that some of them overlap a little bit with ALS. Generally, that wide range of symptoms does not point to ALS, which has a very particular pattern of effects. I hope you are able to get some answers. Anxiety can certainly make things worse so hopefully if you can relax a little you will feel better. Good luck -

You stated that you just want to feel like your normal self again. The sad thing is, with a motor neuron disease, the norm changes and changes and changes. ALS (or any other MND) is to be avoided at all cost. I wouldn't even think thoughts in its direction.

If a neurologist should ever begin to suggest it as a possibility, were I you, I'd make him prove it, every step of the way.

You need to be hoping you have something that is just passing through that will leave you relatively intact or at least something that is treatable and/or curable.

I'm with trfogey - it doesn't look like ALS at this point (but I'm no MD).

Let's hope its a bit of undigested beef or some bad mustard.

Zaphoon

Thanks for getting back with me. I looked up ALS after I checked out my symptoms on several different sites. The swallowing, choking feeling and the left arm and leg is weird feelings is what made me look more into the ALS. I do think it is something neurological because for the past 2 years I have been getting worse and worse each month. My symptoms do change but it is something constantly and is driving me and my husband nuts. He thinks it is all anxiety and it very well could be, I just want answers because I am sick of going to doctors and for him not supporting me thinking I am crazy. I never went to the doc until the birth of my son 2 years ago and from them on I haven't been right. I have asked my PCP, lung doc, cardiologist if they thought it was due to the traumatic birth and they all said no. (it took the anesthesiologist almost 30 minutes to get my epidural in and after it was in and started to take affect, I started going in and out of it then almost stopped breathing, I woke up to find about 10 docs and nurses flipping me from side to side) so something wasn't right if you ask me and have always wondered if they damaged something) who knows. I am not a doc but am in the medical field. I will keep you all posted and pray for each and everyone of you. I have been reading a lot here and am amazed at how strong you all are. Thanks for writing back. Its nice to have people to talk to that listen :)

Has anyone raised the issue of possible Multiple Sclerosis? I am no Doc but I understand that MS can be brought on by trauma to the body (aka: child birth). Please keep us posted. Hoping the best outcome for you. To me, it does not sound like ALS.

Another question with ALS. With the twitching is it pretty constant and in one certain area? At times I feel it on my stomach, other times its in my arm. There for awhile it was in my chest, but it all comes and goes and it not constant and goes to different parts. It feels like a muscle spasm.

Also no one has mentioned MS to me as the swallowing issues just started about 2 weeks ago after I ate and I have days where it doesnt bother me too much and other days like lately where I cant hardly eat anything.

I'm no doctor either but it doesn't sound like ALS to me either. No idea what it could be either.

AL.

Hey, Modub,...
It DOES sound like something went terribly wrong after they gave you that epidural. You might want to do some research about epidurals given incorrectly and the consequenses...what did the hospital TELL you that had happened to you? Did you get an answer that made sense? Were they evasive? Did they tell you WHY the epidural took so long and WHY you reacted like that? If they didn't...I'd ask them! When these questions are answered, then I would take it from there!

God Bless! DBowman

hi,welcome to the forum.
another possible thought would be to get checked out for mitochondrial desease.
(i know i have been going on about this alot recently but mito desease can have many symptoms of als)
early respitory symptoms combined with neuro muscular symptoms is a tell tale sign.
genetic testing and muscle biopsy are the tests for this.

I agree with Olly, sounds Mito to me also. I think that it points more that direction.. Follow my friend, she is a smart cookie, and a dear lady besides...

What happens after an epidural is that the weight of the baby compresses your major abdominal blood vessels causing the blood pressure to fall and the heart rate to speed up. It happened to me. It has nothing to do with how the epidural was administered or how long the procedure took. There is a simple remedy and that is to turn the mother immediately on her side to alleviate the pressure. It is not an uncommon occurance and no one is at fault. It sounds like the medical staff did the right thing. Hope that puts your mind to rest.

Northern Dancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back