Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Prince George
My husband was diagnosed with PLS a year and a half ago, and I with MS two years ago. I am glad to find this site as there is so little info out there. I was also thrilled to see that some of you are quite funny, even though the diseases are not. Without my humour I would have cracked by now. :!: I am still figuring out how to use this site.

Welcome to the forum macdonas and Hi from the other side of the big rocks. Sorry you need to be here but hopefully you can add to our zanyness (if that is a word) cause we really need all the help we can get.

Last edited:
Hi, Macdonas ... wow, you and your husband really have a lot on your plate. I agree: humor = sanity!

Welcome. Please do a search for Forum Follies and jump right in!

mee too hello

Welcome, Macdonas! I've posed a question on this forum before regarding which was the nastier of the two, PLS or MS? I think they are both nasty enough in their own way and call it tie. Any thoughts?

At any rate, I'm sorry that you both have a case of something nasty.

Welcome folks but sorry about your problems. Hope we can help out.

AL.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can find comfort and encouragement here. We lived in PG for over 10 years and are sorry we ever moved.

WELCOME and we do have some of the most brilliant and FUNNY people that were ever dropped on this planet!

Welcome. So sorry you needed to find us. I agree - there are some very funny people on this forum.

Welcome, glad you found this forum also. It is a great way to make it through the hard days... Sorry to hear of you diagnosed. for your husband and yourself. Hugs to you both, Linda

Oh, thank you so much to everyone who replied. O.M.G. we are not alone after all! There are even former PG'ers on the site? Wow. This is a good feeling, to not be completely alone. We do have alot on our plates. The docs just shake their heads. For now we both just try to accept it, and let go. We'll see how that works in the future eh?

As for the tie breaker question, which is worse, PLS or MS? I would have to say PLS, so far, is worse. Mainly because there is no treatment and my husband's balance problems are worse than mine. It is hard to stay positive, but at least we can plan? At least that's what people keep telling us. I guess they are right, its better than something suddenly killing us. Thankfully we are still alive and have each other and some quality in our lives ;-)

I went to a lecture today at the university here and it was on ALS, Parkinson's, and Dementia. The researcher's name is Sandra A. Banack. She is from California State, Berkley. It was interesting because she and her colleagues are basically saying that blue/green algae in our lakes and oceans, as well as some other amino acids are causing ALS, Parkinson's and Dementia, which she and her colleagues consider a cluster of diseases affected by this protein. I forgot my notes at work, but will post some info later. Is anyone in the U.S. or anywhere else doing the stem cell replacement therapies with neruological disroders like they are in Israel, Turkey, Asia, etc?

On the upside, this Dr. Banack said people with ALS are known to be some of the nicest people on the planet. Didn't surprise me as my husband would fall into that category and he has PLS. Just thought I'd share that for those of you having a bad day.
S&P

Welcome, and thanks for your post. My husband and I were just at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and they are doing stem cell research. Doc will be treating my husband by "borrowing" treatment from ALS patients. We will begin with Rilutek. Hopefully it will slow down his progression.

I am sorry that both you and your husband are dealing with something "ugly". It makes you want to ask God why? But I know we are tasked with things on earth to make us stronger. My husband has never asked why? I can't same the same. He is such a good person and took great care of his physical health so I have asked why? I know that one day I will know why we have been tasked with this. I often feel I'd deal with it better if it were me with PLS. Its so hard seeing someone you love go through this. Faith and humor certainly helps. Stay strong.

Hi Again J
Are they doing the stem cell research on ALS/PlS patients?
Thanks...
Sandra

Hi Sandra. The stem cell treatments you get offshore are rip offs. There has been a new research project started in the US. If you search the site and look in the Research section you'll find information.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back