Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Harrisonburg
I don't know what tests y'alls doctors do each time you go back for a 6 mo. check up but mine ALWAYS looks at my tongue (to make sure it stays plump), and he checks my reflexes with the lil' hammer. Then he puts both hands on my elbows and tells me to raise them while he tries to hold them down. He also puts a hand on each knee and has me raise a leg while he tries to hold it down.
Then I stand up and hold my arms out and close my eyes and he watches to see if I waver from my still position. Then he has me "walk"(or hobble) unassisted by any type of "crutch" and hovers within INCHES of me as I proceed so as to "spot" me.

I've been through all of the other tests electrical and otherwise(and the spinal tap-yeesh!)...but these are my typical 6 mo. check-up tests. And when my Neuro finishes, he is always attentive to anything I have to say...I never feel rushed. Ahhhh...

Diane

I have the same sort of follow-up tests. These tests are just part of a basic neuro exam to check on strength, reflexes and rate of progression. I haven't been subjected to a spinal tap or muscle biopsy.

Also, doesn't something have to do with that "thing" that hangs in the back of your mouth? I thought they watch to see it that goes to the side?

Since my PLS had a bulbar onset, If I talk a LOT, then I start to get nasal sounding . I was told the little "thingie" that hangs down in the back of your throat and a valve located in my nasal passage get out of sync. My Neuro looks at my tongue 'cause someone with ALS will have tongue deterioration...heck...he may be lookin' at my lil' dangly down thing, too, for all I know! My voice can suddenly "dry out" when I'm talking sending me into fit's of coughing until I can get moisture on it again. Since I slurr my words, I was told by my speech pathologist to say a few words(pause to rest) and say a few more words...of course I don't heed that most times...I need to speak slower so people understand me better. I can pronunciate ANYTHING if I speak more slowly, but my brain is going faster than what my lips and tongue can keep up with. But people that speak to me regularly can understand my babbling!

By the way, I had a spinal tap(yeesh) to rule out MS(they look at the color of the spinal fluid to determine it)!
Diane

Since my PLS had a bulbar onset, If I talk a LOT, then I start to get nasal sounding . I was told the little "thingie" that hangs down in the back of your throat and a valve located in my nasal passage get out of sync. My Neuro looks at my tongue 'cause someone with ALS will have tongue deterioration...heck...he may be lookin' at my lil' dangly down thing, too, for all I know! My voice can suddenly "dry out" when I'm talking sending me into fit's of coughing until I can get moisture on it again. Since I slurr my words, I was told by my speech pathologist to say a few words(pause to rest) and say a few more words...of course I don't heed that most times...I need to speak slower so people understand me better. I can pronunciate ANYTHING if I speak more slowly, but my brain is going faster than what my lips and tongue can keep up with. But people that speak to me regularly can understand my babbling!

By the way, I had a spinal tap(yeesh) to rule out MS(they look at the color of the spinal fluid to determine it)!
Diane

Oh! The dangly down thing in the back of your throat is called "Uvula"
I am surprised I remember that and had to share LOL

Thanks, Seand777, for the REAL name of the dangly down thing in the back of one's throat! I have the whole internet at my disposal and have been too lazy to look it up! Actually, I find medicine very interesting and watch medical programs on Discovery Health and TLC(etc)!
Diane

Diane~

Let me guess on the TLC, 'mystery diagnosis" ? I like that one. Always hoping for something similar to me!
How did the spinal turn out?

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back