Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Undoubtedly, you've all heard all of the controversy over water boarding as a form of interrogation, a means of collecting intelligence from an enemy combatant. Heck with that! Find a way to inject PLS into their systems and let the cramps and spasticity do their business!

The only problem is, to be somewhat humane about it, you'd have to figure out a way to turn it off once you've gotten the goods from them.

Yep, another day in paradise!

Just saying this stuff sucks...

Zaphoon

I have noticed that a glass of wine does take a little of the edge off...

Last edited:
I'll tell them anything they want to know. I bombed Pearl Harbor! Nixon didn't do it ... I broke into Watergate! Charles Manson is innocent ... I killed all those people! I put the trans-fat in the Oreos! I invented the Internet!

Can we stop all this ALS/PLS stuff now and go back out and play?

Each time I find myself flat on my face,
I think, "This would be a good time for a nap."

Last edited:
Beth, you're the best.

SGPPZ, Do you drink tonic water? If not, try it for the cramps. It helps me much better than any muscle relaxer. I buy Schweppes, but Canada Dry (I think) contains quinine too they're required by law to state it on the label if the quinine is in there, so if the brand doesn't say it, it aint got it.

I have been miserable the last few days, leg and neck cramps waking me at night, can't walk the dog for the pain. I'd run out of tonic. Got some earlier this afternoon. Now, not even one liter consumed yet and I'm feeling better than I have in days. (I've now switched to the red wine, and will continue throughout the Steelers game tonight :) )

My legs were in a pretty bad achy kind of cramp, one of the worst cramp attacks I've had. I loaded up on these "Leg Cramp" pills that dissolve under the tongue and sipped a glass of this awful Beringer 2007 White Merlot (the color is actually magenta). To me, what is awful about it is its sugary sweetness. Kind of like drinking a glass of saccharin.

Anyway, cramps have eased a bit.

Rose, I've tried the tonic water with quinine but it didn't have much of an effect. If these kind of high intensity cramps start coming with any frequency, next neuro visit I might ask for baclofen.

SGPPZ

Last edited:
So, you can spell magenta, but, can you spell fuchsia? (ok, I spelled it for you)

Baclofen does not help min a lot The quinine helps with the achy feeling as well as cramps (to a lesser degree) Gin added to the tonic helps me not care so much.

...I'm drinking Castle Rock Merlot, and it is good.

I'll have to check into the Castle Rock Merlot. I'm polishing off this bottle of saccharin, for now.

I guess I can see how the gin with the tonic could give you that, "don't care" feeling.

SGPPZ

you are right Zaph it is a form of torture with it changing each day.
Each day is a new day with somthing different either happining or somthing you could do before, now not as well or not at all.

Why cant we go back to what we did before, i promise to be a good boy, well most of the time :wink::lol:

cheers
Peter

t v doctor OZ says tonic will eventually cause hearing loss. is every one aware that the antidepressant valium is also a muscle relaxer ? worked for me til pls got up to high muscles. consolation, my leg spasms have decreased w/age

I wonder what the tonic does to cause hearing loss. In my profession, hearing loss isn't tolerated very well.

Zaphoon

I guess not Zaph, but then i could be in tune with an out of tune piano ;):lol::lol::lol:

cheers
Peter

They have cut 5 muscles so far on my left leg and next week they are going to cut the Periformus muscle to try to ease the pain in my legs. This time they are actually going to be smart enough to take some samples and a borescope device and run it down the sciatic nerve as far as they dare to get a good look and see how blistered it is. I got the double wammy ALS and dioxin poisning. which came first the chicken or the egg. They wasted over a year with me looking at the wrong thing and by the time they found and isolated the ALS and the dioxin I had alredy gone through a years worth of waterboarding. I do have to say that at night I sleep with a heated blanket on my side and it does help my legs by about 20% which is a whole lot when it comes to pain. pluse almost 300 Oxycotins and Oxycodones a month. I have to take the pure ones as I can no longer have any tylonal at all. It will be a long time before they let me have any of that again. At night the Oxycotins keep you awake so they give me Propoxaphene which I can sleep with. I have been on this for over 2 years and my team of Doctors know that if they ever find a cure for the pain getting me off the pain meds will be my hardest battle ever. It is good that we can talk openly about it and do have a plan if it ever happens but as of right now they do not see any relief in the near future. I also get the epidurals and Baclofen epidurals. They want to put the pump in but I am not mentally ready for that yet. Come to think of it I am not mentallly ready for any of this. It has been the worst years of my life but I have found things about myself and my friends that no money can buy. I have found my friends have no limit to their support of me and my wife. They refuse to let us drive distances to the Doctors or when I am having surgery they take turns comming over in the weeks after so my wife can go to work and not lose her job. While this whole ALS thing is cruel and unusual punishment I have found out it also brings out the best in some people and I have learned to accepth their help without feeling guilty as I know if I could do it for them I would also.
Just like the people on here I have been blessed with a lot of personal friendships in a short time. The support and ability to just ramble is such a help. I love each and every one of you and just wish we had a cure for all of you.
Dave

love and hugs all around.......thanks friends

Hang in there Dave. It doesn't get better but in time your attitude gets better. Sounds like you're on your way.

AL.

I tried some tonic water with quinine while on the airplane for my recent trip. I get some minor cramping and muscle tightness so I've been meaning to try it. I hadn't had it before but it was one of the free drinks on the plane.

OMG, that was the worst tasting stuff I've tried to swallow in a long time. I almost spit it out. In fact I did gag and dribble a little. No doubt it's an acquired taste, like coffee or wine. I'm not sure how to acquire it though.

I always thought it tasted like what I imagine camel pee to taste like. No amount of gin and limes can make it taste good. The pills are much easier to take. You don't want to burp soon after taking the quinine capsules. Did that a couple of times and the powder came up and man does it taste awful.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back