Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
If you look at pictures of my house I've posted in one of my albums, you can see that my basement is 3/4 out of the ground in the front. This raises the height of my living room windows on the main floor considerably off of the ground. In other words, I need a ladder to paint the trim, wash the windows, etc.

My dad use to tell me when I was a kid that I didn't have the common sense God gave an ignorant goose. I think he was right.

You'd think after having fallen off of a piano bench on a 4 foot high platform in a church that I wouldn't venture on any ladders for a while, let alone the same week. Well, I was up on my ladder today painting window trim that badly needed it. You know how people have spoken about having ALS or PLS with balance issues? What do you do when you are 15 ft up on a ladder that is on uneven ground and you start to lose your balance?

The window has only been primered so far but I'm going back up to finish the job with a coat of paint. It was scarey up their with the primer but like my dad said, I don't seem to have the common sense God gave an ignorant goose.:mrgreen:

If you don't hear from me again today, well, I did another Humpty move.

Back on the ladder, folks! Have to conquer those fears and say howdy to a goose!

Zaphoon

Last edited:
All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Kim back together again.

Dude , we do not want this to happen.

Be Careful.

Glen

Uh, Kim ... I don't know how to put this tactfully, but WE NEED YOU HERE!

Do they have guys hanging around your local Home Depot who need a couple hours work? Get help! Don't make me come out there and turn you over my checkered apron!

Hire someone my friend! It is not worth the risk of hurting yourself. I am a journeyman carpenter but hired people when I needed something done, it was hard to do this but could not afford the possibility of broken bones.

Well, its done! The window trim is painted but I noticed some things while doing this.

First off, my dad was right regarding the goose.

secondly, soft pink is a totally different color than white. I found an older pint of paint that was almost full, stirred it (with some difficulty - wrist tired quickly), ascended the ladder and painted. I kept hoping it would turn white but you know, it didn't.

I made a trip to a local hardware store and purchased another pint making certain it was white. Once again ascended the ladder and repainted.

Aside from leg cramps and potential balance issues, it came to me (while up on the ladder) that I could develop a cramp in my foot or feet which could have unsettled me enough to make me fall.

I appreciate the wisdom in the advice to hire someone to do this in the future.

I have an alter ego named, "Danger Man".

I also figured out why the good Lord blessed me with daughters instead of sons. By giving me daughters, I would be almost certain to have sons-in-law that would be nothing like me. If I were to have sons of my own, well, it could have been a pity...

Last edited:
hi again, not many of us w/be able to attend your funeral so congratulations but please be more careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back