Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I have developed scabs and fluid filled blisters where tape has been holding my gauze over my peg. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try a tape that breaths. Also, I only tape the top edge of the gauze pad. This keeps it in place so nothing can fall behind the flange and cause an infection while still allowing air to get to the site preventing excess moisture from building up.

On my mom's I just use a small split square of gauze - no need to attach with anything - just kind of stays put til I change it the next day.

Trina

Jeff told me about a breathable fabric tape by 3m. I saw it at walmart for $7.99 for a 1inch roll

Skin and tape are a bad combination when used for several days, especially when the tape has to be removed and replaced daily. There is no need to tape the tube or the gauze to the skin. Let the tube hang free. Put a split gauze 4x4 or 2x2 around the tube to catch any drainage A small piece of paper tape (chosen because it can be torn off the roll easily without scissors) tapes the overlapping edges of the split together to keep the gauze from sliding out. The tape tears easily for removal of the gauze. We do the same with the gauze around my trach.

We use 3M Nexcare Micropore paper tape. Yes, it is kind of pricey if you buy from the drug store. I usually buy boxes of 12 from Amazon at a much cheaper rate.

You have to kind of keep changing the spot that you tape to keep the skin from developing a rash. In spite of all that my PALS has had rashes every now and then. We had to apply some hydrocortisone cream over the affected area to clear that up.

I recently picked up some nexcare sensitive skin tape that seems to be working. Tried several types, all left my skin red and blustery looking. Redness and blisters are disappearing

I would use the 4X4 split gauze criss crossing them with each other. No need for tape on the peg area.

Debbie

Deb how did you use gauze to hold the tube in place, I can't quite picture it?

Tillie, I put one split gauze facing one way and the other one on top of it facing the other way. Kept it secure without using tape.

Debbie

I use one layer of gauze and tape it together, overlapping the split. No tape touches my skin.

My tube just flops around most of the time.

thanks Debbie, not sure still how that stops the tube from flopping about like GB's does, but maybe my brain is just being weird one me lol

Hopefully Neil can get a button soon and not have any tape or gauze?

The button was so much better for us, especially as we moved towards paid carers assisting with dressing and showers in the last months. Nothing to accidentally catch and pull!

The button is much better for us too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back