Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
I am hoping you guys can offer some ideas. My Dad has had his PEG for about a month. He continues to have diarrhea. We have been working with the dietitian from the ALS clinic and his PCP. He was recently on IV abx and they have run the course and have been ruled out as well as a bowel infection ruled out. We have tried a couple of things but so far no luck and we have calls in again to the dietitian and now the GI doc.

I don't want to discourage anyone getting a PEG as my Dad has a history of pancreatitis and abdominal surgeries that I am sure play a part in this. He has managed to stop losing weight but has not gained weight at this point. He is on Peptamen 1.5 which is optimal for people with absorption problems. He did not have difficulty with diarrhea before the PEG.

He was diagnosed with aspiration pnemonia on the same admit as getting his PEG. Since then he has had little to nothing by mouth for fear of getting sick again. The occassional item he eats is pureed and tires him out after a couple of spoonfuls.

He has used Imodium with some success but was told not to take it as there is a significant risk of constipation and impaction for PALS given the slowing of the muscles in the digestive track. I have been through the threads but did not see a specific discussion about Imodium however noted that some PALS have taken it. Has anyone had problems with using Imodium?

I have also read some threads and especially noted a tip from Carolan regarding a combination she supplemented instead of tube feeds for her mom as well as a drug called Paragoric. Paragoric is a controlled substance and that concerns me. Are there other threads that I am missing that might be helpful or does anyone have an idea?

At this point Dad has recovered from his pneumonia but is still having generalized weakness which has to be due in part from the diarrhea. He is able to move about the home but fears leaving for sake of needing the restroom. I really want to push to get him help but not sure which way to push.

Thanks.
Dana

There are many different formulas that you can take through the PEG. Have you tried some other ones than the one you mentioned? He may be having a reaction to it.

Also, some people say if they water it down by 30% it stops the diarrhea. I had trouble with all the different formulas I tried so we just used a good blender a I started to consume regular food again and everything was fine.

I hope you can find a solution to this problem!

Thanks Joel. We have not tried any other tube feeds YET! With his suspected absorption problems, the GI doc skipped over the most commonly used supposedly but we may have to go back and reconsider.

Have not thought about watering down. Will definitely ask about that!

Are you blenderizing food to eat or put in the tube?

Thanks again for the quick response!
Dana

We blended regular food, whatever my wife made for dinner, and I took it through my PEG.

Just to avoid confusion - I have not had to use my PEG since getting my trache and vent. I got my ability to eat by mouth back.

Just to avoid confusion - I have not had to use my PEG since getting my trache and vent. I got my ability to eat by mouth back.

Wow that is incredible! How did this happen? Irregardless, yeah for you!

Thanks!
No one has an answer for me being able to eat again.
And, I can eat anything I want without choking.!
Such an incredible blessing!

joelc - That's amazing. I wish my mom had been more open to ventilatory assistance. I wish I had found this forum months ago, you are very inspiring! God Bless you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back