Diagnosis
11/2006
Country
AUS
State
Queensland
City
Victoria Point
Wanting anyone out there who has been there and done that to tell us how to do it. Mum has a PEG tube inserted a week ago, the dietician is very unhelpful. Thank goodness our speech therapist is very encouraging and tells us she knows you can put your own supplements and food through the tube, anyone who knows how to do it so tube doesn't block as dietitian and docs will not be happy if we block up tube and don't want us to do it. I know that you flush with all feeds before and after and that you make it quite liquidy but just wanting to know from someone how best to do it please thanks

We thoroughly liquify food in a foof processor, then push it through a fine strainer. For pills, we dissolve them in warm water. Never use time release medications in your PEG.

Mike

i've never dealt with a peg tube being blocked but i've heard from a couple nurses in the hospital they do coke (coca-cola, the pop) flushes to unblock it.

Hi Mike- what is the reasoning for not doing timed-release capsules through a peg? Is it because the whole thing arriveds at once and thus an overdose could occur? Just wondering...

You got it Cindy! You have to crush or dissolve anything that will go through the PEG. That defeats the time release mechanism.

Mike

Thanks to Mike

Thanks a heap for that in Australia they are not allowed apparently to give us the info but I understand that overseas they have guidelines for how to do it, the Uk for instance. Thanks so much for your help
Rochelle

Hi audiologynow

Hi Audiology:

I spent six month's at the hospital with my husband, were I learned to suction him, to give him pills previously crushed and dissolved in warm water (not released time
medication's) since through the PEG everything goes directly to the stomach.

All food prepared (like Mike mentions, has to be very well strained (finely).

What I learned at the hospital was to use an ASEPTO SYRINGE, to give my husband water, after each feeding to wash out the tube and in between feedings (we all need water) not only juices, etc.

Here I am posting a picture of an Asepto Syringe (this are usually used by surgeons, during surgery's. You use it like a funnel to pour in liquids through the PEG Tube.
Something else you can do is to give him water through the feeding bag, although I prefered the syringe because it washes the tube with more force.

I hope I have been of help, if you need something else, just let me know.

PATY
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
CALS TO LATE HUSBAND JORGE
DX 10/17/05
DIED 12/30/07

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joel. Was wondering about you. Haven't seen any posts in a while. Guess you got moved and got the tube, right?
AL.

Hi Al, thanks for the inquiry.

If you can believe it, we are still renovating! It's been a stressfull time but we are getting close now, the final coat of paint is on this morning. Now we have the flooring, casings, etc to do. The biggest challenge before us is the huge shower (6' x 7'), it needs to be done and tiled, our son is planning on doing it which is great as we ran out of money long ago. So, about 1 more month and we should be able to enjoy our new bedroom and bathroom.

We had to totally re-do the entire house before adding on the bedroom/bathroom. It's been a very unsettling 6 months! But we are surviving and looking forward to things getting back to normal.......whatever that is....lol

I got my PEG and am currently getting everything ready for a trache/vent as my breathing is getting really bad. Nothing ever stays the same for long! I plan on living a long time yet! We have 2 new grandchildren due Nov 10th, both our sons find themselves going to be new daddy's at exactly the same time!

Glad to see you are still looking after this forum! Hope your progression has been slow and you are doing well!

I miss everyone here! Blessings to all!
Joel

I know about reno fiascoes. Glad to hear that you're not too bad off though. Take care.
AL.

Hi Joel,
It is good to hear from you again. I hope all your renovations are finished soon so you can get back to a more normal routine. I know when we redid our bathroom it was a mess around here because I could not get into the other bathroom.

Looking forward to hearing fromyou again.

Wanting anyone out there who has been there and done that to tell us how to do it. Mum has a PEG tube inserted a week ago, the dietician is very unhelpful. Thank goodness our speech therapist is very encouraging and tells us she knows you can put your own supplements and food through the tube, anyone who knows how to do it so tube doesn't block as dietitian and docs will not be happy if we block up tube and don't want us to do it. I know that you flush with all feeds before and after and that you make it quite liquidy but just wanting to know from someone how best to do it please thanks
My mom just had a peg tube put in less than 2 weeks ago and was sent home without any instructions! Making a long story short, she ended up hospitalized. The hospital was a blessing in that there I learned with the nurses how to effectively use the peg. Yes always flush a 100-150ccs of water before and after feed. Have the medicines crushed. You can find pill crusher at local pharmacy. Dissolve in water and administer after the feed to avoid empty stomach. Flush afterwards. If pills should clog the peg with your thumb and point finger gently massage the tube and it will get un stuck. It's only happened once with us so far. Secret is to really crush the meds to a fine powder. Also if administering Ensure make sure your mom tells you which works better for her. For my mom Ensure Plus is preferred. For one thing it has 100 calories more than the regular Ensure and it is lactose and gluten free. I hope this helps. I was so desperate for advise a week ago that I know how you feel.

i've never dealt with a peg tube being blocked but i've heard from a couple nurses in the hospital they do coke (coca-cola, the pop) flushes to unblock it.
I have heard of this as well from my mom's nurses.

Hey guys, while the info on this thread is useful and wonderful, just an FYI, it was started back in 2008.
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back