Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
Idaho
City
Leadore
I had my feeding tube put in in April of last year. My ALS is bulbar and I no longer can take anything by mouth. Several weeks ago I noticed that there was blood at the opening. It is not a lot, but there appears to be a little blister or skin tab protruding from the opening. I am now finding that I need to change my dressing at least twice a day and sometimes even three times a day. If I don’t use peroxide and a q-tip to clean the blood and the drainage, it almost scabs over and the scab irritates the area. In all this time, I have not had any professional look at this area. Does anyone else have this issue?

I would have a look at our member/nurse Diane H's stoma page. She is not a peroxide fan, as you'll see, but suggests alternative care.

Best,
Laurie

I had bleeding at my site but only for a week or two then it was fine, I treat it fairly rough but no bleeding now.
Al

Lose the peroxide. I only use saline once a day and the nurse I saw this morning said mine is the best stoma she's seen. No bleeding or minimal exudate. Just take your drain sponge and soak it in saline and let it sit on the stoma for 10-15 minutes. Take that one off and replace it with a new one. You're good to go till tomorrow.
Vincent

I had this and it was a little scary. Clean daily with qtip, then we put cortisone cream on it and it cleared right up.

You may want to google " granulation tissue at stoma site" and see if that is what you have plus there a number of sites that give advice on the treatment for it. My husband had excess granulation tissue at his peg site like you describe and bleeding easily is a common symptom. I found soaking the area with saline for a couple of minutes before cleaning with a Q tip really helped loosen up all the blood and gunk to prevent further bleeding and irritation, then gently patting it dry. We did not use peroxide as it can harm the tissue. Sometimes they need to be treated and also to rule out an infection.

Laurie, this site was wonderful and gave really good suggestions! Thanks so much

Vincent, I followed your suggestions and what a difference it made after only 24 hours! Thanks so very much for taking the time to help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back