Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
I have PEG installed 6 weeks ago and haven't needed yet(except to flush)

I hate having the 12-18 inch tube hanging out. How hard to change it to a button?

it is not hard at all to change. Just a few minute at doctor office. Brief moment of pain. So glad I did it.

You probably mean 'dangler' when you say PEG as PEG is a type of operation, and not a type of tube.

Here:
Types of Feeding Tubes
There are different types of G Tubes and different types of operations used to place them.

The operations are:
• PEG*(Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) done under general anesthesia. The most common type
• RIG (Radiologically Inserted Gastrostomy) done under ‘twilight sleep’. Used when breathing is an issue
• PIG (per-oral image guided gastrostomy) which is least common

The various types of tubes include:
• Danglers*, which are tubes with 12-18” of external tubing and usually an internal bolster to prevent the tube from pulling out. (which is a scary but not grave problem). These can last for years before needing replacement. Some danglers can use internal balloons instead of the solid bolster. These will eventually fail and need replacement.

• Low profile or button, which does not have the long external tube but does require an ‘extension’ tube for use. This type can have an internal bolster but more commonly use an internal ‘balloon’. Just as the above, these balloons will eventually fail.

I had my peg done over a year ago and I have no problems with the "dangler" being in the way. We circle it up and tape it down with some good tape that we chose to purchase. It does not stick to the skin hard or cause any problems to my skin.

My understanding with the "button" is nice but will need to be changed every 3 - 6 months, where the "dangler " can last much longer. My doc said leave it in as long as possible and will change when needed.

My PALS got her dangler last summer, two months later the Doc replaced it with a button which she much prefers. It is used 4 times per day for her feeding and meds. But she has actually put on a little weight and so at our request, it was replaced with another button with a slightly longer stem. The replacement was done in the office and after watching the procedure, I could do the next one at home if needed.

I'm still using a dangler 2 1/2 years later. It still works great and the larger diameter tube is nice for avoiding clogs. My shirts don't hide it so well, but brushing my hair was never something I worried about before all this. Dignity goes fairly quickly with this disease.
Vincent

The dangler has another pro: if you're not able to feed yourself, your CALS can easily access the tube without even pulling your shirt up in front of an audience and you're able to discreetly use it while in company any even going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back