Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
Recently, my feedings have started to just not sit well in my stomach. I'm supposed to do at least 5, preferably 6, feedings a day and I'm just dreading them. At one point, I was using Boost Very High Calorie for my feedings. But I was paying out of pocket for that, and, at $40/box, that will get rough. I'm not on an insurance-provided food supplement from Abbott. Are there a variety of supplements available? What do you do about this? I can't feel like this every day. It's really wrecking my mental state.

What about just putting real food down the tube?
You need a good vitamix type blender to really puree it well. Then whatever is being eaten by the family is simply portioned up for you as well.

A lot of those formula feeds are based on soy with a lot of sugar.

If you go to an ALS Clinic, you might ask them or your nutritionist if they have samples? We tried a few different kinds before we found one that would work for my PALS. He is using Isosource 1.5 which is 375 calories each.

Boost is intended to be a supplement to a normal diet or for temporary use as your major source of nutrition. As a supplement, it is not full nutrition. You need a product for full nutrition such as Jevity, Isosource, or another of several brands. Insurance/Medicare will pay for them since, at 5 or 6 feedings a day, you are certainly getting over half of your nutrition that way.

Many of those commercially prepared drinks are full of corn syrup and soy protein. I've heard PALS getting special orders from their doctor to get Liquid Hope. Sometimes, it works better from a tolerance perspective to use several types and alternate them. If you can get a Vitamix, it will puree anything. You may have to add some extra water and by adding nut butters, avocados and coconut oil might allow fewer feedings.

There is not any sugar in Isosource 1.5. I worked with the ALS doctors and had them write a script for the formula which my insurance company is now covering.

There is not any sugar in Isosource 1.5. I worked with the ALS doctors and had them write a script for the formula which my insurance company is now covering.

It has corn syrup and is soy based.

You might also look at Real Food Blends. Not fortified,, but what the name says. You could add a multi vitamin in liquid form. But blending is cheaper.

I went to see a functional medicine doctor yesterday and she basically said the same thing: Boost is junk and the other stuff has corn syrup and cows milk and that's what is not sitting right in my stomach. So, we're getting a Vitamix and going to make our own food for awhile and see if that helps. I'd also love it if I didn't have to feed every 2 hours.

The best part of making your own food is that you can fortify it with nutrient dense calories and you won't have to feed every two hours! You might have to experiment because each person tolerates different food but I would make sure I tested coconut oil, avocado, and nut butters as they are all high in calories and healthy. I'm glad you saw a doctor who understands good nutrition.

I am using real food which you can now get on amazon though I get it from Coram. It is thick so i put it in the vitamix and add fresh fruit to the mix. Sometimes will add halibut and more vegies and split it between two feedings. I tried the stuff from Abbot nut after being dairy free and low glycemic for a couple years my body reacted badly to the dairy and the maltodextrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back