Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM #1 (permalink)

City: West Orange
State: New Jersey
Diagnosed: 12/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Twitcherama is on a distinguished road
Default Meds through the tube

Just got my tube a couple weeks ago. I swallow some pills (although that seems to be going) and crush others and put them in via the tube. My question is, how do you make sure you're getting everything in? I seem to constantly have some residue either in the syringe, or the cup I use to mix everything. Am I doing something wrong? I've been using the plunger to make sure most goes in, but I don't want to be taking partial doses.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 PM #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Meds through the tube

As an aside, I have to laugh. After my post went up, there was an ad in it that says "5 FOODS NEVER TO EAT. (MEN ONLY)". I'm guessing that won't be a problem for me!
Old 03-25-2017, 12:06 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure they are not on the "do not crush" list and what the dosing instructions are relative to food. Then depending on what works best, dissolve them in warm water first or soda, slurry them into a food blend thin enough to tube, etc.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

You must flush afterwards with at least 60ml of plain water
Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there twitcherama
I have a tube and take all my meds and vitamins by the tube, I bought a pill grinder on line for about fifty bucks and it has been very satisfactory for about a year now. Like Tillie says I just flush the tube with water, this gets everything into your stomach and helps to hydrate you. Never be afraid of using too much water, it's good for you.

Al
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 09/2013
KateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really nice
KateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really niceKateEmerson is just really nice

I noticed residue also. I find using really warm water added to the crushed meds helps them dissolve better, then after pulling it up into the syringe add a little more water to the cup to get the last bit and pull that up into the syringe, and then shaking the mixture well before putting it into the gtube. If there is residue in the syringe I just suck up more water and put that in the tube. Then flushing the tube with plain water at the end.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM #7 (permalink)

PS....I should have added, as firefighter mentioned a pill grinder, the meds need to be almost powder. We found that the inexpensive " pill crushers" did not grind them fine enough and have ended up using a mortar and pestle which works for us.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 AM #8 (permalink)

City: New York
State: NY
Diagnosed: 05/2015
Manhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really nice
City: New York
State: NY
Diagnosed: 05/2015
Manhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really niceManhattanite is just really nice

I put the pills in a "snack size" Ziplock bag and crush them with a pestle. Then I open the bag and pour the powder into warm water. I find this keeps clean up to a minimum and my fingers don't touch the medicine.
Thanks from
KateEmerson (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:15 PM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

I also used a mortar and pestle, and I agree warm water not cold.

I never sucked anything up into the syringe, but with the syringe attached to the peg tube I tipped the meds (or formula or whatever) into the syringe.

Hope that helps, but do be sure the meds you are using can be crushed, and if there is a liquid form available it will make life easier!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Anytown
State: Maryland
Diagnosed: 7/2008
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
rose is on a very distinguished roadrose is on a very distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Anytown
State: Maryland
Diagnosed: 7/2008
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
rose is on a very distinguished roadrose is on a very distinguished road

Hi Twitcherama,

I just posted about this pretty recently on Tube Chic, (I made a little video and everything ) here's the link:
Taking pills the easy way | Tube Chic
Closed Thread

Tags
meds, peg, swallow, wrong