Diagnosis
07/2015
Country
US
State
tx
City
Dallas
I feel the need to shout a great big " thank you Rose". This morning Steve woke to find blood around his stoma. He admitted to me that he has had issues with blood and yellow stuff around it. I was very uneasy, as I also found a bunch of scrapes and cuts on him.

He has had a couple of falls and since I was at work...he thought he could get away with not telling me. Anyways, I became quite concerned about his PEG and was totally thinking it may be infected.

The peg tube surgeon told Steve that if he had any issues he should call his Neuro, not him. Very unhelpful doctor. He never even made sure we knew what to do or how to take care of the tube.

I decided to do a search, on the forum, under the feeding tube section and came across 'Rose's Tube Chic" link. I read the info to Steve. We have figured out what we think is the problem. We taped the stoma and tubes with medical tape so that it wouldn't move so much. We have been doing everything else correctly.

Rose, I have to say I am totally amazed by your web site. You are beautiful, inside and out. This forum and everyone on it have saved us...so many times. I hope one day to pass it forward.

So what you are saying is that by taping the tube down so it wouldn't move fixed your problem?

Vince

Yes it has Vince. We taped it in two different places. One the tube itself so that it doesn't get caught on his clothes or moved around and then put a small piece of medical tape right over the top of the round tube on his stomach. Its doing a lot better now. Its not constantly be moved and or irritated.

Deb, you are so kind! Thank you. My hope is to be able to help others not have to deal with what I did.

Taping a feeding tube certainly helps but it isn't a good long term answer. You don't have to be sensitive to tape to get raw skin from it. While you search for a good ”tube tamer" I suggest using the type of medical tape called paper tape. This is not the paper tape used for wrapping presents! If that doesn't hold well enough, you can use what is called Montgomery straps to reduce damage to the skin from repeatedly peeling tape off. Using regular medical adhesive tape, place a strip of it on the skin or strips on either side of the tube. Tape the tube to the strip(s), not to the skin. Don't remove those strips. Use them over and over until they are dirty or coming off.

We bought a very gentle tape and we don't mess with it a lot. His skin around his tube is actually don't better. We also use baby soap to clean his stomach since it is much more gentle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back