Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Hello everyone, I just now posted about this in the general discussion forum, but wanted to make mention here too.

I had started a blog on tube feeding, but did not develop it, nor keep it active. After almost two years of it just languishing (and me paying for web hosting!) it is now up and running

New content will be added on a daily, or almost daily basis, until it is rounded out better. But, like I said in the general discussion post, at least there is STUFF in there!

It will be of interest to those who have a tube, may get a tube, or are carers for someone with a tube.

A browser search for tube chic . com (no spaces) should bring it up for you.

Hi Rose,

There is a Facebook group "Adult GTube Feeding" that might benefit from this too.

Excellent article on dealing with granulation tissue especially for people who have big problems with it! I have done very well with just a dab of non-prescription cortisone cream when the granulation occurs. Caught early when the stoma first begins to sting, a single application is all that is needed. Like you, I do not use anything but regular soap and water to clean the stoma. Being told to use peroxide is the worst instruction we get! It is used in the hospital because it foams away blood and crustiness that is normal in the first days after surgery. It has no more antibacterial ability than plain soap. However, it breaks down the fibroblasts that are the first stage of wound healing. The body keeps replacing them and the peroxide keeps damaging them. That tells the body to increase its efforts and the result is continuing problems with granulation. So the peroxide is is fine for a few days, but then switch to a gentle wash with soap and water. Stabilizing the tube is important but I am so immobile I don't bother!

I don't have any granulation problems with my trach stoma, but like you I like to dress it up! I designed a trach cover to wear over the face plate and trach ties that are so ugly and scream "Sick person here!" I don't consider myself as sick, just disabled! So, I have trach collars in colors to match my tops and have turtlenecks with a hole for the tubing for winter. Vanity yes, but fun!

Thank you Diane, what a great attitude. I'm glad you 'get' dressing up the tube:wink:

GregK, Yes, that FB group has grown by leaps and bounds. I don't participate there much, but it has given me an appreciation that there are a lot of other scenarios that are reasons for a feeding tube. At least for those with swallowing issues, it is so much more simple than having a digestive system that does not take kindly to being fed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back