Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
Has anyone had the situation where the inner tube is coming out of the stomach. The bumpers are tight , it's not them that are moving, the tube inside the bumper with the numbers n it is moving out at about 2mm per day.

Very strange that the bumper flange isn't moving. They are usually hard to slide the tube through. If it is a balloon tube (has a balloon in the stomach to anchor it in) the balloon is deflating and the tube needs to be replaced. Push it gently back in and tape it in place until you can see your doctor. If it falls out it needs to be replaced in an absolute maximum of 12 hours, preferably within a couple of hours. The longer it waits the worse the odds of getting the new one in easily. Definitely worth a trip to the ER if your doctor can't see you promptly.

Neil you were having trouble with it in Feb too - is it the same problem still ongoing?
You said it was a fairly new peg change back in Feb - have you had it looked at if it's still the same one?

I had it replaced the end of December just before going on hospice.mbefore, the ballon deflated and rge bumpers were getting loose. This is different. The bumpers are tight, so I am assuming the balloon is not deflating but the inner tube keeps moving out of my stomach as if the bumpers are not holding it tight. I can't push it back in, tried already. Problem is I have to get off hospice to have my regular insurance pay for it, hospice won't.

Hi Neil,
Can you not at least go to a doctor that would know what they are looking at and work out what is happening with it so you can make a decision?
Sounds like something that needs someone to see and touch to figure out.

Problem is I have to get off hospice to have my regular insurance pay for it, hospice won't.

That doesn't sound right. Hospice doesn't cover the expense of adding new equipment or treatments, but surely they will allow the fixing of something that is malfunctioning. Even if the tube turns out to be fine, I can't believe they would risk potentially serious complications from feeding you through a tube that is out of place. Big legal liability for them. If the end result is replacing the tube, they cannot refuse you necessary care and replacement of equipment you had when you signed on with Hospice. Don't accept the word of the staff. Kick it up the line. Whoever is aware of, or in charge of, Risk Management (the prevention of complications, especially of the legal variety) will go pale at the idea of their liability if they don't allow you to have the problem evaluated by the doctor who had been involved before you went on Hospice and saw you through previous problems

Neil, Diane is right. That expense will come under "regular Medicare" or your Advantage plan, not hospice. So you don't need hospice to arrange it. Contact the doc you need to and s/he will file with Medicare as s/he did when you got the tube.

Thanks Diane I'm so glad do hear that! I don't understand that system over there, so would have just believed it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back