Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CT
City
New London
My dad just got his PEG tube yesterday but was wondering about something. We have noticed whenever we go to do a feeding(before we start) that in the tube, between the clamp and where it exits the stomach, there is a little bit of stomach contents that has come out. Is this normal? I just want to make sure it doesn't cause issues down the line with infection or clogs.

Edit...whoops didn't finish writing the thread title

Yes it's normal, that's why the clamp is there :)

No worries. I have the same thing in my tube and I mostly just use mine for water and meds. The puréed whole foods I make in my vitamix will leak into the tube below the clamp. Just make sure you do regular flushings throughout the day. I like to do 8 ounces of Luke warm water about a half hour before bed.

Vince

Ok thanks! Just using it now to supplement his eating so flushing before and after using it. Do you think I should flush more regularly? Like what Vince said before bed?

Hydration is very, very important. I cannot drink any thin liquids especially water. So, besides my flushings I periodically do Gatorade and water between flushings. Just make sure all liquids are room temperature or at least Luke warm. Cold liquids will give him cramps.

Vince

Thanks Vince. He definitely doesn't drink enough water so I will give more.

How long do you think I should keep the gauze on the site? He had it put in last tuesday and the gauze has been dry pretty much since the day after.

You are cleaning and changing the gauze every day?

Some people like the gauze around the stoma and keep doing it.

Mostly we didn't like it. I found I could keep the site cleaner and cleaned up after feeds without gauze.

So you can try not putting gauze there and see what you think works best.

Yes we have been changing and cleaning it everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back