Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
az
City
tucson
Got my PEG (technically a RIG) put in on Thursday last. More pain than I expected but it's no longer hurting too bad.
My question: is it normal to be able to smell my stomach contents? It's kind of disgusting to me...def not enjoying that.

Should have asked if anyone else had that experience, not if it's 'normal'. Who knows WHAT that word means.

There is a funk and mucousy discharge from the site. Just keep the site cleaned and dry. There should be a clamp of some sort on the tubing. That helps the smell once your healed.

It may just be a healing period thing, but I don't remember Chris's peg smelling at all.

Well OK sometimes opening it would generate a great burp, but I mean the peg site didn't smell of its own self.

Is the stoma site very clean and dry all the time?
Is it cleaned after each feed, saline can be helpful.

Havent done any feeding yet. Just water/meds. Yes, the stoma is clean and dry.

Hate getting technical but... are you sure it's stomach contents you're smelling?

Great that site is clean and dry. Pain will abate daily, unless you sneeze a lot, laugh a lot or cough a lot!!

Depending on when we flushed the tube we may have a bad gas smell or an erupting volcano. You need to be ss upright as you can and think about what your eating. Broccoli gives a nasty odor...I just started flushing on an empty stomach. Steve was ok with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back