Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Just wondering if anyone who had the PEG procedure got to go home the same day. My surgery is at 11:40 am Thursday and the surgeon originally said I would have to stay overnight for observation. Don't want to spend that long in an observation bed. Surgery will be done by noon and I'd like to go to a hotel with my wife that night and come back the next a.m. For a checkup. Besides, my Packers are playing Thursday night and I'd rather watch the game from a comfy hotel room :)

Vince

I can see both sides.

Over here they keep you at least one night, but I know over there they don't keep a lot of people overnight.

Here the reasoning is - they have punched a hole directly through your stomach wall. It needs a good 6 hours or so to settle before they attempt to put a little water in. Then some more hours before attempting a small feed and ensuring there is no nasty hydrochloric acid stomach contents leaking out. Pain needs to be managed and this is an important one for PALS.

If your pain is not well managed you may respond by breathing shallow so as not to hurt that wound just under your ribs - BAD FOR PALS

If those first flushes and feeds are not done carefully you may have stomach spasms or vomit and aspirate.

So here, they keep the person in for at least one night and most of the next day and if they are tolerating feeds well, not leaking and the pain is easing - good to go.

I sure would rather a motel room than a hospital room!

Is your wife confident that she can manage your observations and first flushes etc without medical help?

i went home the same day. i stayed at the hospital about 2.5 hours after surgery. im not on a bipap, though, no breathing issues. i had mine done this past january and we were very worried about what i might catch at the hospital so we wanted out. we had told them that the flu could be deadly for me and they actually kind of quarantined me off separately in the 'post op area'.

Tillie you make very good points for staying and Mich5 you have expressed both mine and my wife's fears of being exposed to illnesses. I'm going to email my surgeon and see if he might let me go early. Thank you both for the responses.

Vince

Steve stayed overnight because of his fvc. They wanted to be sure he was ok. They didn't keep him in recovery, he was moved to a regular bed. I could have stayed with him.

Packers better do better than last Thursday.
Vincent

They almost kept me overnight but my breathing was OK post-op so they let me go.

Well my last FVC was 68 and I'm still not on BiPap so I don't think that should be an issue. If they were putting me in a regular room it might not be so bad but overnight in an observation bed will be bad. And Vincent, I sure hope the offense gets their "stuff" together Thursday.

Vince

Are you sure the observation bed is not a regular room? I had an overnight observation stay for surgery ( not ALS related) and I was on the regular surgical unit in a normal room. The observation status had to do with insurance rules not how or where I was cared for. They would not cover overnight and my surgeon would not release me (nor was I well enough to be released)

Wish it was Nikki. Multiple beds in one area. No way I would get any rest and sure wouldn't be comfortable. If I have to stay I have to stay. Just have to suck it up. But I hope I don't have to:?:

Vince

Oh I get it now. Don't blame you a bit. no rest as you say and the potential for infection. Hard for your wife to be with you too. Even if she can it would be awkward and uncomfortable for her too. Ask exactly what they are going to be doing overnight that your wife can't do.

Hi Vince,
As compared w/ the copay for your obs night, it might pencil out to hire a nurse who wants to pick up some hours, for your hotel stay. For example, a lot of hospitals keep tabs on their nurses that are up for that. There are other ways, of course.

Your doc is going to be cheerier about your bailing early if you have medical support and return for a final check before you hit the road. I assume the hotel will be very near the hospital (reverse Murphy's law).

As for the Pack, my son is Peyton first, Aaron second place. So when the Broncos are not playing them, we can support as well.

--Laurie

Thanks for the advice Laurie. I don't want to stress my wife out so if she isn't comfortable alone with me at the hotel then I'll stay.

I have a great deal of respect for Peyton but with all his injuries as of late, I think he may need to hang it up. It was hard to see Favre go but when it's time it's time.

Vince

I can picture it now...

You going for packers, Vince. The bloke in the bed next to you going for the other team...

There may just be a brawl going on in the hospital...

Let's hope for the hotel room...

God bless, Janelle xx

Well surgeon says it is "protocol" that I have to spend the night. Fudge! Now icing on the cake; in the last 3 hours they have moved the surgery up twice - originally 2:00 pm moved up to 11:30 am then moved up to 9:45 am. Since we have to be there two hours prior, we are going to have to leave tonight and get a hotel room so I can be there by 7:30 am. So.....now I'll have to be in an obs bed ALL DAY tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Will be taking my iPad so I can share the experience with you guys :)

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back