Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
South Carolina
City
roebuck
If you get a peg, is the use of adhesives necessary? I am highly allergic to adhesives, and most sticky substances. For example, using an EKG patch leaves an oozy rash in the shape of the patch used, and we won't even touch on the complications when they used a clear patch over my incision for my hysterectomy. Asking because I am having problems swallowing without getting coughing spells. Also, if you have problems with nausea, does that affect getting a peg?

Karla most people do use tape to hold the tube in place but there are lots of other ways.

Some make a simple band to hold it in place. I've known some to pin it to their clothing but that always worries me about possibly accidentally pulling on it.

What causes your nausea?

Oh karla. How frustrating for you, a solution to a problem causes more problems !
Unfortunately I have no practical solutions. I can only think of bandages or the stretch stuff they make suck your guts in knickers out of.

I really hope someone comes up with the perfect solution for you.
God bless, Janelle x

No tape is needed for a PEG tube. Your first tube might be quite long and annoying but doesn't need to be taped down. A stretch Ace bandage as used for sprained ankles will hold it in place if you feel that is necessary. The stoma (skin opening) will be covered with a 4 by 4 split gauze. Just place it around the tube, overlap the edges of the split a little and tape them together. That will hold the gauze over the stoma without any tape on the skin. I like paper tape for this because it is easy to tear off the roll.

A PEG won't cause nausea but if you are prone to nausea, it won't cure it either! If your breathing is affected that can cause nausea when you eat because their isn't enough oxygen to digest the food easily. Go with small more frequent feedings to reduce nausea. If the nausea is so bad as to cause vomiting, you can empty your stomach by drawing back the contents with a 60 cc syringe and throw it away. This is fine for occasional use but you do lose electrolytes just as you would with the flu and a lot of vomiting, so the nausea needs to be treated preventively with medication instead.

Much more on PEGs at
Feeding Tubes

They haven't figured out the cause yet, Tillie. It's been going on about 2 years. I currently take both reglan and zofran to control it, but it sometimes isn't quite enough.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Karla,

We've never used tape with Darcey's PEG. She has a long one... about 6-7" in length. We use split 2x2's at the opening (where the tube goes into her stomach) when we use neosporin... but they stay in place on their own. The long end we simply position between her underwear and her stretchy pants... and it stays put by itself and out of the way. We haven't used it yet for anything but regular flushes... but have it for when it becomes necessary.

Jim

Karla,

I would only add to Diane in that you might have some trial and error as far as getting the right formula for you (a lot of people here are agreed that one of the "alternative" formulae and/or blending real food is preferable to the corn-syrup base traditional ones) and then you could work on timing and number of feedings to make things more comfortable. I suspect that a blenderized diet would work best for you. There are a number of people here who can help you with recipes, a Facebook group and several Web sites.

Thank you all for the info.

Hey Karla.
I read an ebay feedback comment of all things, saying that "the foam under the tape really helped ".
If tape seems the best option, your physio may be able to help.
Hope comments have helped.
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks Janelle, I will check. Sometimes nurses and docs don't want to listen. I have told them of my allergy, and had them say "oh, well, this isn't adhesive, it is a sticky gel stuff." Lol, my body doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back