Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
TN
City
CLeveland
I am hopeful but so anxious .. Mom gets her feeding tube monday.. They say she will go home that day ,that its a simple procedure .. Is it that simple ? I worry so much about her breathing issues ( she was having a lot of trouble last night .. And of course we still don't have the bi pap ...will we be able to start feeds the day she comes home?

Mandy lass you really need to explore the Search function. There's a boatload of info stored in this site...
Doing a search on "feed" with "Titles Only" I get 11 hits, 6 of which are on feed tubes.
A search using "tube" on Titles Only gave 100 hits.

:^)

It is simple Mandy, but some PALS do have a lot of pain after.

Chris had pain for a week and was treated like this was very strange (and he normally had a very high pain threshold!)

"They" say the pain should settle significantly after the first 24 hours ...

A problem with the pain is that you want to keep it controlled as it will cause you mum to try and breath shallowly to avoid more pain, and we want our PALS breathing well as it is already compromised.

The procedure itself is simple. Make sure whoever will be doing her feeds is shown well how to use the tube and care for the stoma before you agree to discharge. It's a snap truly, but needs explanation so there is confidence once home.

Usually they only want water down the tube for the first 12 hours as the stoma needs to settle a little, and if all is well and no leaking feeds can begin :)

There is another resource we often refer PALS/CALS to: Diane H's website ALS From Both Sides (.com).

Diane has a fair bit of info about feeding tubes here: Feeding Tubes

(see, I can be helpful too! And not just harass you about Search). 8^)

Ha ha Greg :) I am searching now:) thank you all for your replies .. I feel better knowing I am not in this boat alone :)

Mandy, how did your mom's procedure go?

so sorry i havnt updated here lately..,moms procedure went good.. a little over 2 weeks now.. i woudl like to say the who experience was good but it wasnt.. they sent her home same day with zero supplies and us with zero knowledge of how this all was supposed to work.. THANK THE LORD FOR THE INTERNET:) finally we got home health in and they showed us a little then we were able to track down a nutritionist and hopefully are on the right track...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back