Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Lafayette
My nutritionist at the ALS clinic has suggested that I consider a JPEG rather than a normal peg. I tend to have gastric issues and he said the JPEG might help since it bypasses the stomach by going directly to the entry to the small intestine. He claims it's no big deal but would require pump feedings generally overnight. Does anyone have this kind of peg? What do you think? Alex

If you are on face book there is a group for adult tube feed and I know members there have that kind of tube. Might want to join and ask The overnight feeding schedule has worked out well for my sister who has a regular peg. She tried other ways but the overnight worked best and was what her clinic recommended anyway

Thank you Nicki. I'm not very good at Facebook but I'll give it a try. Alex

>Thank you Nicki. I'm not very good at Facebook but I'll give it a try. Alex

there is also a PALS only group you may want to join. a bit anal, but lots of good info :)

Direct PEJ tubes do have a much higher chance of infections and the like. The kind that go into your stomach, then through there into your jejunum are a better deal.

A j tube is a much better choice for anyone with GERD, frequent heartburn, hiatal hernia, or stomach contents coming up with burping. A j tube tip is in the jejunem, the first section of the small bowel and where nutrients are actually absorbed. The distance from the esophagus makes the upward flow of feedings far less likely. A j tube can be directly inserted or can be done by letting normal peristalsis pull the tip of a longer gastric tube inserted by PEG procedure down into the jejunem before snugging the outside flange up against the skin. Because their is no space in the jejunem for much fluid, feedings are given slowly using a feeding pump to set the hourly amount given. Most people don't want to hooked up to a pump for hours so feedings are often set to run overnight.

My sister had this type of of tube when she had cancer. She had these feedings for several months and didnt find them a big deal. Her only issue was when the bags ran out in the middle of the night and the alarms would go off and if they were running on battery for some.reason and would alarm....this happened in the summer with storms. Generally they were easy to navigate, gave her a lot of freedom.during the day, and eased her dropping weight and dehydration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back