Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
maryland
City
cumberland
My step dad was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS in March 2014. At his ALS clinic early June his breathing was at 48% so he has decided to get PEG tube while he still can. He has lost 75 pounds so far. Hoping he can gain a few pounds back. He has been drinking ensure. Any good tips on making drinks to help gain weight? He loves chocolate and peanut butter flavors. Thanks

>Any good tips on making drinks to help gain weight? He loves chocolate and peanut butter flavors

Hi Anne -- Sandy makes me three kinds (I haven't really eaten since January, but still drink them):

1. various fruit smoothies ~250-350 cals each
2. chocolate milk (whole), a banana, 2xtbls of peanut butter blended ~`700 cals
3. gazpacho.. blended for fiber and veggies

the goal is one of each 3x per day, bu I usually get in 2x :)

I have lost no weight ...

good luck!

Thanks for the tips. We have a nutribullet. And regular blenders as well. So I assume as long as I can get the consistency thin enough to pass through we can blend him some great drinks. So far we have used ensure + with no complications. Only a small amount comes back in the tube if he stands up too soon after feeding. He's such a trooper. Never complains.

his insurance will also pay for most of the cost for formula. I use Jevity 1.5
If hes a veteran, get him into the va system, they will pay for everything. the formula has everything needed for proper nutrion. Wouldn't want to drink it but since it goes through the tube that's not an issue

My hubby having peg inserted tuesday! Any tips? Questions we should ask? ALS clinic/Dr didnt explain it too much other then its "a quick out patient procedure, no biggie"

If his breathing is compromised in any way it might turn out to be an overnight stay. Happened to me, the first med team didn't understand the complexities of ALS and refused to do it. Was rescheduled for three days later by full surgical team. Had no problems with the surgery. Not trying to scare you, just making you aware of the possibilities.

Thank you dalvin!

My hubby having peg inserted tuesday! Any tips? Questions we should ask? ALS clinic/Dr didnt explain it too much other then its "a quick out patient procedure, no biggie"
The doctor may be technically competent but otherwise an ass. You shouldn't be going into this with so little information. It isn't generally a "biggie" but ALS can make it different than for other patients. A feeding tube is, in my opinion, a very positive step. Check out all the stuff he didn't tell you here. Feeding Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back