PEG tube research - Please offer thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

connected

Reason
CALS
Country
UK
State
Manchester
City
Manchester
Dear all,

I am a pharmacy student who has worked very closely with patient's in end-of-life care on a part-time basis. I became very close with an individual suffering from MND and I supported him right till his final breath. It is often easy to forget the difficulties both mentally and physically associated with the condition when one is sat behind a computer or dispensing desk miles away. I was privileged and humbled - along with being deeply moved - to have supported this person.

Whilst supporting the individual, I noticed gas retention was such a major issue resulting in bloating, especially towards the end. Having to release the gas when out in public often drew much unwanted attention. Therefore I have based my research project in this area - which will hopefully allow us as healthcare professionals to be able to provide that little bit greater care.

If anyone can share their thoughts on this matter, that would be great!

Some guidelines:
1) Do you feel bloating is a major issue? If so, to what extent? Have you discovered a solution/anything that has helped?
2) What PEG do you use?
3) For those using a vent, do you feel you are getting much more bloated than pre-vent?
4) If there was a simple way to reduce bloating, would you consider the medication/device/method?

Thanks everyone, your responses are highly valued (for those on an EyeGaze - much respect! I tried using one and failed miserably...to the amusement of the gentleman I supported!)

Connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back