Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Rochester
They have started me on Isosource last Saturday at the hospital. I have had diarrhea continuously since the start. The doctor's say I need to get used to it. They have also given me fiber and Imodium. It has now been over a week. Will I ever get used to it? Will the diarrhea ever go away? I can't put food into my tube because I have a Mic-key button, not a PEG line. What do I do? My stomach hurts all day and growls all day. They say a change in formula will not help. Anyone ever experience this? Will I ever stop?

is that ur only source of nutrition? can u take anything by mouth? I had to stop formula and build up a quarter of a can at a time, then I did ok. I think rose dose her own blends and she has a mic key

My mom has always been on the jevity 1.5 and she has never had a problem with diarrhea. She has a peg - don't know if that would make a difference. Good luck.

Yes Rose does her own blends as do many others here. I use osmolite 1.5 x2 per day, but I also still eat by mouth. I have the occasional "irritable" bowel. I am sure if I went to all formula at once, I'd have diarrhea all the time.

I'm not promoting face-book, but they have several groups on tube feeding and also dysphagia for those of us that can still eat but need a modified soft diet.

Of everything that has taken place with me so far, changing my diet has been the most difficult. I love/d food and cooking and grilling and going out, etc.

By the way, many have a Mic-key button and can put blends into them. It takes time to do it, a good blender is useful. Just take it one day/meal at a time. You will adjust to the change!

I'm sorry, how terrible.

I disagree that trying other brands might help. It sure can't hurt. Maybe even try some Ensure Plus from the store.

If they are doing gravity feeding, you could also try a feeding pump where you get a little at a time over the course of the day instead of a whole can at once.

I'm just brainstorming ideas here... Good luck and don't be afraid to try super blending food to go through there, just make sure it's real thin to not clog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back