Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
I am having a feeding tube, PEG, inserted the 15th of this month. I have a couple of concerns about it. First off I have had several surgeries in my life from from rhinoplasty to ankle cyst removal and never worried at all. But this one has me nervous, perhaps it's because it will be an "outward" reminder of this damned disease!

Anyway, I have concerns about GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPRD).

I have had these conditions for a decade or more but the LPRD is worse lately than ever before. So bad sometimes that if I bend over after eating, (even if it's been a while) stomach contents will roll right up and into my mouth...yeah gross! Not only gross but horrible tasting, let alone what it does to my teeth, etc.

Anyway, I've heard that with the introduction of a PEG feeding, it can exacerbate esophageal reflux. If this is true are there ways to limit the problem, such as sitting upright or standing after tube feeding?

I currently take a proton pump inhibitor, but it does little for LPRD.

My Dr is aware of my GERD and LPRD and hasn't stated any concerns, but I'm thinking I should reiterate the issue just because!

So wondering if anyone has had this or other similar conditions that affected feeding tube surgery and/or use?

@jellis86:

I don't have the PEG-tube myself yet but I know about other wonderful PALS on here that already had the procedure of inserting the PEG-tube and thus, may have more expertise on what to expect before the procedure, during the procedure and after the procedure.

I am hopping they would eventually chime in on this thread with some insights for you.

Take care.

NH

They are inserting a JTube due to my reflux problems. So I guess that answers my concerns. I can feed to either my stomach our the small intestine with it. I go in for the procedure anytime now...No later than 11am, says then anyway

They are inserting a JTube due to my reflux problems. So I guess that answers my concerns. I can feed to either my stomach our the small intestine with it. I go in for the procedure anytime now...No later than 11am, says then anyway

Good luck with the procedure. I hope everything goes well for you.
Please, keep up posted how it went.

NH

Thanks NH! Surgery went without a hitch.....well I had some post surgical pain that some have and some don't. A little morphine and I was okay.

They kept me in the hospital until today just to make sure everything was good and I had a "regular" meal this morning. So it's there now when I need it.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Great news! keep on keepin' on!

@jellis86:

Thank you so much for updating us about how the procedure went for you.
I am so glad to know that everything went the way it was supposed to and you are home already enjoying a deserved rest. :)

A nice weekend back at you, buddy.

NH

I guess I should upgrade the type of feeding tube they put in....It's a G J Tube. It's a single tube with a divider inside. I can either feed into my stomach, the Gastrostomy half, or small intestine, the Jejunostomy half.

It sounds confusing but actually pretty easy and ingenious. It was still inserted through my abdomen into my stomach then the "J" portion is fed farther down into my small intestine.

My pain is considerbly better now, but as with any procedure, it will probably take a few days yet until there is no pain. There is a slight pressure type feeling when I go from sitting to standing. I'm assuming it's the stitching they use to attach it to my abdominal wall.

I was a little apprehensive, but now I am glad it's in place.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I am glad to hear you are ok and recovering. Rest and enjoy the weekend.

My doctors have suggested a peg feeding tube now before my breating and swallowing scores become too low to have it inserted. I am aprehensive to say the least. I'd like to know from anyone who passed on this procedure and what were the outcomes? I am thinking of passing up on this procedure.:?:
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back